Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Gee Schwalenstocker, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet Gee Schwalenstocker, 2016 What A Fan Awards 2016 NFL Fan of the Year Nominee. This Pittsburgh Steelers fan has been described to us as one of the nicest and most inviting sports fan you'll ever meet. She truly embodies our mission of respect and inclusiveness with both home and visiting fans. We're pleased to recognize this bubbly and colorful lady.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its has been held in Orlando Florida for the last three years and has now been relocated to Los Angeles California beginning July 15th 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a sports fan?

I got my season tickets to Three Rivers Stadium for the 1980 season... I got interested in football and the Steelers, when Terry Bradshaw and company, with the coaching of Chuck Knoll started taking the STEELERS to the Super Bowls. I started with the bra around 1994/95.. I thought I heard Myron Cope say something about Terrible Lingerie on his radio show. SO, I went out and bought the biggest satin, yellow bra I could find, 52 DD. Took it to the tailgate and hung it on the stand up cardboard Myron Cope I had. We got into the Playoffs and I stuffed it and added black lace and wrote on it ... THE TERRIBLE BRA... and it was born. I of course wore it to the playoffs games and then Super Bowl XXX. I would only wear it for playoff games, and then started wearing it to away games, the girls and I went to. Not quite sure when I started wearing it all the time.. I got it signed by Myron Cope and retired the original.. Made a new one, that is black lace and added gold tassels, and YES, I ca n spin them... I have so much fun wearing it and spinning the tassels for people... getting pictures with people.. holding their beer cans in my bra.. I even let people touch the bra and I then make this shocking face... It's just a good time and fun with the other fans, and even opposing fans. Sometimes I do a little dance with my bra on them... Of course, I let people try it on too. One Halloween Steeler game, my Dear Friend, Jen from the Steel City Mafia, tailgate next to us, surprised me and came dressed like me, with a bra and wig, and everything I wear... It was one of the funniest things anyone ever did to me... My poor husband, when he saw there were two of us.. He just shook his head and said, "OH NO, THERE ARE TWO OF YOU". I have pictures and photo albums of almost every game I ever attended. I traveled with the girls from HUNTZ''S GIRLS TRAVEL LEAGUE. The Steelers organization is a fine operation of Coaches, Staff, Owners, and Players. Steelers try to hold a high level of integrity with its team members. When some one gets out of line, they let them know, it is unacceptable behavior. I am proud of the city of Pittsburgh and the Pittsburgh Steelers and all they represent. 

Why should you be selected the winner in this category?

I would be honored to be chosen... I have so much fun with people. I invite anybody, who says they are coming in for a game, to our tailgate THE TERRIBLE BRA AND GRILLE... GOLD LOT # 4.. Right across from McFaddens Restaurant and Bar. We welcome opposing fans too.. OF COURSE, we have a bit of fun with them... I had to lap dance this one guy.. it was his birthday and his first game. I always go and get my picture taken if people ask, and I stop anytime... even on my way into the game, and I never like to miss kick off... I throw "Steeler touch down dust" after every touch down... it is this confetti that is tiny pieces of shinny colored paper... sticks to everybody and everything... I love the Steelers, and don't like people taking them or the coaches down... I say we can all have our opinions, but no need to get mean and nasty about it... and some people do. I love to laugh and make people laugh... I love to share pictures on my facebook page: The Terrible Bra and Grill e. Our tailgate entered a contest for Jim Beam and we had to make a video. We won in our division of the country, but not the ultimate win of going to the Super Bowl, which Steelers were in...( I can share it if you like to see it) I did go to the Detroit game with Jerome Bettis. and the Steelers.. awesome game and time, I made it to the Hall of Fame when Bettis got inducted. I have gone to the Super Bowl in Tanpa, but couldn't afford or have a ticket.. BUT.. we tailgated and ended up watching the game in the lot with a bunch of new Steeler Friends... I try to help anyone that is trying to help other people, last year our tailgate collected, hats and coats, etc. and this year we collected small items for our local troops. I make sure I get them to the proper hands and know they will be delivered by her. We have fed the homeless, when they come by.. always share what we have. I have brought down extra blankets and given them out to the homeless. I don't have a designated room fo r all my Steeler stuff, like some people, One of these days, I hope to take a room and put all my stuff in it... and I do have the stuff.. 35 years is a long time to collect Steeler stuff.... I try to buy something new every year, this year it was a pair of gold glitter cowboy boots, and a black and yellow feather hat. As you can see, I buy off the wall stuff, but then again, some people think of me as "off the wall". Our tailgate has lost two of our very important menbers in the past two years. We hang a sign under The Terrible Bra and Grille sign, that says... For those now watching from Heaven... we love you... then their names and birth and death dates. These two men got in line every home game and saved our special spot so we could tailgate. We met these guys tailgating next to them years ago and decided to combine our tailgates.. some fine people I have met along the way. I know as long as I can continue to walk and climb up to peanut heaven (I tell everyone I sit with Art Rooney Sr, and he is dead and in Heaven). nine rows from the top... I will go and cheer my beloved Steelers on and of course continue to tailgate and wear my TERRIBLE BRA and make people smile and laugh.

What triggered your passion for sports?

Well, to be truthful, jumping on the band wagon when the Steelers were in there HEY DAY... Swan, Green, Ham, Lambert, Shell, White, Bradshaw, Holmes, Stallworth, Blier, just to name a few of the greats. YES, I went out and bought my Steeler stuff and decorated the bar where I worked with black and yellow... That was just the beginning .... Pittsburgh was proud of their football team and still is. I do watch some Penguins Hockey, and baseball, even go to a few Pirate games each year. Took me a long time to learn about football from watching it.. and still am learning new things all the time. I don't pretend to know all the facts about sports but can talk a good enough game about what is happening on the field. 

Favorite sports moment?

I went to Detroit for the Super Bowl against Seahawks. I had no ticket. I went with my youngest son, Tim. We met up with my middle son, Dan, who was living in Charleston, S.C. at the time and was a morning radio DJ. All his audience knew he was a Steeler Fan. One of the wives had her husband sell Dan the extra ticket they had. Tim and I met up with Dan at an Irish bar.. Met the group he was with and bought them all a drink (Pittsburgh tradition) Had my bra on of course and carrying a sign, saying we need tickets.. and another sign that said WE BELIEVE. Well one of guys approached Tim and said how much money do you have to spend, He said he could spend 700.00 and Mom could spend only 650.00.. Ticket price was 600.00 The guy said give me the money, we did, he gave us the tickets and handed Tim back 50.00 and said it was for beer money. Found out later, that guy could have sold the tickets at another bar bar 2300.00 a piece! He didn't like the people.. Pretty amazing story isn't it? So I got to wear my Bus hat and my terrible bra. Cheer on the Steelers and go watch Jerome Bettis last time he ever played and win in his home town. AND I WAS THERE TO SEE IT. all because of kindness from another person.

Who would you like to meet and why?

I would like to meet Jerome Bettis. I have this beautiful black and white poster size photograph of Jerome that my son, Dan gave me. Dan now lives in Costa Rice, and has a Steeler bar. I would like to have it signed by Jerome and then frame and give it back to my son. Besides, Jerome is a all around good guy and I would love to shake his hand and tell him how much I enjoyed watching him play and I seeing what he does for Pittsburgh, even still to this day. Not living here.. but leaving his legacy here. 

What charitable programs are you involved with?

I never go past a Salvation Army red kettle, and not put something in it.. no matter how many times I go by the same one.. I always pick some names off a Christmas tree and buy something. I told you, I gave blankets to the homeless, and collected coats, hats and gloves for a church and this year collected items that can be sent to our local service men.. Years ago, I wrote to men in Dessert Storm. I don't have any one special charity I do for. My husband and I always donate to certain charities each year. Can't ever go by without dropping money for Children's Hospital. I am actually a sucker for anyone collecting for any good cause.

How does you family feel about your passion for sports?

They all probably think I am a bit crazy... My husband just smiles and shakes his head. When my sons, and I would walk into a game, they loved the stares and comments people would say about me... I don't really think anyone is embarrassed by what I wear. They know I love going to the games and tailgating. I know they would be thrilled and proud of me if I won an award. 

How was your character or costume created?

I actually told you this before, but here it goes again... Myron Cope had a talk radio show, and I thought he mentioned something about terrible lingerie. I went out and bought this biggest yellow satin bra I could find. I brought it to the next tailgate with me and hung it on the cardboard Myron Cope, that I have. I next stuffed it and added black lace and wrote on the bra, THE TERRIBLE BRA. I started wearing it for playoff games... I wore it to Super Bowl XXX. I used to say,, "some people have the terrible towel, I have the Terrible Bra". I have a friends that says he has it on video. I wore it to away games that I attended with the Huntz's girls traveling league. Not quite sure when I started wearing it to every game. Still don't wear it for preseason... only real games. So I think I started wearing it sometime in 1994. We finally started calling our tailgate THE TERRIBLE BRA AND GRILLE, when my friend, painted it on our huge home made grille he made. We now have a banner that we hang that says: Welcome to the Terrible Bra and Grille Tailgate For years, I just wore the Terrible Bra over all my clothes and coats, and still do today..

How important is it to you to have an award show for fans?

This would be an amazing award, if I should win. I would be recognized as the fun loving Steeler Fan that I am.. and put another feather in the cap of the City of Pittsburgh and the Steeler Football. It would be an honor to be selected.. doesn't everyone like to be honored for something they do in their lifetime? 

What would winning mean to you?

I would feel so proud of that someone has noticed the fun loving Steeler Fan that I am ... Win or Lose.. I am there ... Heat or Snow.. I am there. I even try to work around the Steeler schedule so I am not away for any home game.. I catch the games away or tape them and watch them later.. and don't look at the score or paper. I know my family and friends would be amazed and proud of me as well. I never try to draw attention to me purposely... I am who I am... I wear what I want to. I have had some people not even notice the bra at firs... Say, wow, I like your hat. One guy was staring at my chest (the bra) and I said to him ' didn't anyone ever tell you it was polite to look at someone, when talking to them.... not their chest!" HE then said," Did anyone ever tell you, that you have beautiful eyes/" It was great fun and we all laughed. I can't even hardly imagine winning.. I would be tickled PINK or BLACK AND GOLD, I guess I should say. If I found out by winning, that I could help other people after I won, that would be an extra bonus.

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and dedicated sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor!
www.whatafanshow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment