Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Jerry Pritikin, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet Jerry Pritikin, 2016 What A Fan Awards MLB Fan of the Year Nominee. Jerry is not only a die-hard Chicago Cubs fan he's historic. The stories this fan can share will keep you engaged for hours. We hope to hear them all one day soon. Congratulations, we wish you the best of luck.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its has been held in Orlando Florida for the last three years and has now been relocated to Los Angeles California beginning July 15th 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a fan?

In 1945 when I was 8 years old, My dad gave me a crash course in Baseball 101, How to keep a score card and Cubs history, then took me to my first game. When Cubs clinched the N.L. pennant, I asked Dad to take me to World series. He felt I was too young,but made a PROMISE, He would take me the next time! I'm now 79! There may not be too many Wait Until Next Year Left. 

Tell us why you should be selected winner in this category?

I have been to well over 1,000 M.L.B. games, and became one of the fable fans of the Cubs in and around the Friendly Confines. My loyalty to the game and the Cubs and my instant signs have been seen in books,documentaries and sport pages all over the United States. The Chicago Historical Society tabbed me one of Chicago's most famous fans, and included my 10-Cub-Fan-Mandments in their Beyond the Box Score Exhibit for over a year in 1991. I have created Awards for Fans, and Players and been featured in Sports Illustrated,The Sporting News, and all the Broadcast Networks including ESPN,CNN and appeared in several Cubs highlight films. In 2014 I received the Hilda Award, named after the fable fan of the Brooklyn Dodgers from Baseball Reliquary.

What triggered your passion for sports?

My Dad had been a Cubs fan since 1908, when he picked up pop and beer bottles at the old West Side Ball Park to get a free pass to the games. He introduced me to baseball when I was 8 years old in 1945. When the Cubs clinched the pennant I asked him to take me to the World Series,he felt I was too young but made me a PROMISE, he would take me the next time. I followed in his footsteps and for 5 years cleaned the grandstands to get a free pass to the next game beginning in 1946. I went to my first Opener in '47 and a month later was in the grandstands when Jackie Robinson made his Chicago Debut for the Brooklyn Dodgers. I have seen many vets and rookies enter the Hall of Fame. I met many of my Baseball heroes and so many great fans of our National Pastime. @ 79 I am still waiting to get to the PROMISED LAND! 

Favorite sports moment?

Back in 1985, Legendary Cubs broadcaster Harry Caray asked me to be his guest on his 10th Inning Show from the Right Field Bleachers- and he introduced me as JOHN Q. PUBLIC-The FAN! Two years latter he tabbed me as the Cubs #1 Fan.

Who would you like to meet and why?

Vince Scully, Dodger Announcer- I love his love for the game and to meet someone who witnessed so many seasons and players, as well as historical moments of the game. He is able to paint pictures on the radio so the fans can feel like they are there. He may not be a Cubs fan, however I get the feeling there has never been a boring moment in every and all games he broadcast. I would like to thank him for all fans as well as myself just for being there for the fans,even if they are Dodger fans! 

What charitable programs are you involved with?

Over the years there have been some, including Cubs Care. However at the moment I'm just in the batting circle!

How does your family feel about your passion for sports?

They are very Proud, and through the years I sat with my Mom and Dad, Sisters and Brothers, Nieces and Nephews in the bleachers and once in a while the box seats. I have great memories as a kid and through the ages of being in a family of Cubs fans. Once in a while, we are able to recall the good old days of Yesteryear together and looking forward to seeing the Cubs in the World Series this year. 

How important is it for you to have an award show for fans?

I like it, for many years as the Bleacher Preacher, I have created special fan awards for those who continued the great Wrigley Field tradition of throwing the visiting team's homers back on the field. I also converted non-believers into loyal Cubs Fans. I even gave Jack Brickhouse,Hank Sauer and Ernie Banks Hey! Hey Awards.

What would winning mean to you?

Next to seeing the Cubs in the World Series it would be a great honor, because it's an Award for the fan. Cheers Always! 

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and dedicated sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor!
www.whatafanshow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment