Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Houston Crawford, 2016 What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet Houston Crawford, What A Fan Awards 2016 NFL Fan of the Year Nominee. The Cincinnati Bengals have some amazing fans, its typically hard to select from such a fanatical fan base. This year we were bombarded with people pointing us in Houstons direction. He's one passionate sports fan!

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its has been held in Orlando Florida for the last three years and has now been relocated to Los Angeles California beginning July 15th 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a sports fan?

I have been a Cincinnati Bengals fan since birth! There isn't much else I can say except I was born into it! I grew up loving the Bengals! Who Dey! 

Why should you be selected the winner in this category?

I think I should be awarded the 2016 NFL What A Fan award, due to the fact my support for my team has never waivered! even during the 1990's. I love my team, and I love the fans! I love meeting fans from other teams, I travel to most of the Bengals away games also, so its awesome getting to meet super fans from other teams! Its always awesome welcoming visiting fans into my tailgate also! I always welcome other fans to my tailgate with open arms and smiles! Its been amazing meeting fans from all over the country, and world! I support my team thru thick and thin, and no matter what I wear my team colors with pride! No matter the outcome of the game, I am always respectful of the other fans and their team! I Love all of the other super fans that I have met thru my connections and no matter the outcome of the awards, I look forward to connecting with them at Bengals games! I do a lot with fans with special needs also, I'm always letting kids and other fans put my helmet on and take pic tures with them! because at the end of the day, Football Is Family!

What triggered your passion for sports?

What triggered my passion for sports? I have to say that my grand dad always taking me to Baseball games and football games, I have loved playing sports my entire life from Baseball to football, to Basketball, I played it all! But I have to say I have the passion for sports that I do because of my attitude, I grew up always striving to be the best and always working hard at getting my athletic ability better, which before my knee I was getting pretty good! But at the end of the day, Sports are one of the most important things in my life, and with that is my team, I represent my Cincinnati Bengals wherever I go, no matter our record! Who Dey! 

Favorite sports moment?

My favorite sports moment would have to be every Bengals game I attend! Nothing I love more then supporting my team, and also getting to enjoy the fans around me weather home or away games! I love the tailgates at home with my crew, and also the tailgates with Super fans from around the NFL, exploring the cities and areas around the stadiums! But if I had to just pick one event, It would have to be in 2005 when the Bengals finally clinched the AFC North Division crown! It was amazing to finally have a playoff team in Cincinnati!

Who would you like to meet and why?

If i could meet anyone it would have to be Paul Brown, and to thank him for bringing Pro football to Cincinnati! just pick his brain, and to just get to know one of the greatest football minds ever. But, Since he has passed away, I have just the NFL Films videos, and every now and again when i get to talk to his son Mike, who is the President and owner of the Bengals! 

What charitable programs are you involved with?

I am not associated with any charitable organizations as of yet, but I always do what i can to help the less fortunate, Ill bring toys to the toys for tots events at the stadiums, I always invite people with disabilities to our tailgate, not too long ago, when the Texans were in town we hosted Matt the Champ, an awesome 6 year old, who has a medical disorder, we raised funds to fly him up from Houston Texas and gave him the all star treatment! I would love to connect with other super fans and build a charity, that sends less fortunate kids and their family to NFL games! I am always trying to help people, I am a former firefighter EMT, so being a kind yet passionate person has always been my thing!

How does your family feel about your passion for sports?

My family supports and loves my dedication to my passion, which is the Cincinnati Bengals. It also helps that most of my family are Cincinnati Bengal fans also! They understand the love and passion that I have always had for sports! I have had girlfriends in the past learn football just to know what kind of mood I would be in the following week whether the Bengals won or lost! But at the end of they day my family has been awesome supporting me in this journey of becoming the Bengals Super fan! Who Dey! 

How was your character or costume created?

My outfit came along in bits and pieces, I am a former Firefighter, Emergency Medical Technician, so I had an old Fire fighter helmet laying around and one day before I was to travel up to Cincinnati for a Bengals game in late 2011 I decided to go get the Bengals team color paint! One thing lead to another and it looks just like the Bengals Helmets, with the stripes! I also put a Bengals tiger patch on the front of it. It looks pretty awesome! I wear an Andy Dalton Jersey because that's my quarterback! and the Bengals team issued Nike thermawarmth turtle neck, with the Bengals team Issued practice shorts, and also Bengals socks that come up to my knees! I'm very easy to spot in a crowd supporting my team! and then someone called me "Bengals Superfan Houston Crawford and its stuck! also the Bengals Fireman! 

How important is it to you to have an award show for sports fans?

I would like to think its very important to have an awards show for the Super fans of the world! To show our dedication and Passion to our teams and our Cities that we represent! I love my team and city with a passion that is unrivaled. Also for people to see inside our lives that we are great people inside and out of the stadiums! I have been interviewed a few times by the local news crews and I'm recognized out side of the stadiums and its been awesome getting the exposure! I enjoy getting to know other super fans from around the NFL! and I cant wait to connect with them during this process that I have been nominated for! But at the end of the day I think its awesome that there is an awards show that does recognize the time and effort and charitable work we put in, not only inside the stadiums but outside also!

What would winning mean to you?

I think to be able to win the 2016 What a fan, fan of the year award representing the City of Cincinnati and also the Cincinnati Bengals of the NFL would be an amazing honor! It would be an amazing step into the right direction for me! I would be like my great friend Havok, from Baltimore and wear the name with great pride and honor! to finally be acknowledged for my dedication and loyalty to my team that i love so much would be a great honor! It would be awesome to travel over seas next season with the title of Fan of the year! when my Bengals play the Redskins in London next season! I have to say thank you to everyone involved with this process for nominating me, and I hope that I am what you are looking for as your 2016 Fan of the year in the NFL! 

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and dedicated sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor!
www.whatafanshow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment