Friday, January 22, 2016

Ezra Castro, What A Fan Awards 2016 NFL Fan of the Year Nominee

Meet Ezra Castro, our What A Fan Awards 2016 NFL Fan of the Year Nominee. We are pleased to see this outstanding Buffalo Bills super fan submitted for Nomination once again. He's been a fixture at Bills games for years, additionally he is truly compassionate and continues to be an active community servant. We wish him luck.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its has been held in Orlando Florida for the last three years and has now been relocated to Los Angeles California beginning July 15th 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a fan?

I have been a Buffalo Bills fan since 1986. Right before the glory years. I’m celebrating my 30th year. I consider it from the WOMB to the TOMB! 1986 was when I started playing pee-wee football. Me and my dad felt the need for me to have a team to follow.

Why should you be selected winner in this category?

NFL Fan of the Year! Through thick and thin, win or lose, all the heartache, all the boos, all the stare downs, you name it, I will Always BILL-ieve!! Most people jump wagon when their team is doing well. Not me, I drive the wagon year round. There is no offseason for me. Your award says “Year”. That’s me, YEAR round fan, not just Aug-Feb. I put a lot of heart and passion into this sport. I live NFL. It’s my hobby, its part of my life! God, Family, Football! 

What triggered your passion for sports?

My Dad... He loved football. Of the 4 sons he had, I was the only one to play football at a young age. Started at age 7. I knew it made him happy to support me, so I kept at it and fell in love with the sport! Competition and Life lessons I continued to learn while active in sports kept me going. Teamwork, discipline, and respect are all contributors to triggering my passion for sports.

Favorite sports moment?

My favorite sports moment was when the San Antonio Spurs won their 5th NBA Title. They won the title on Father’s Day. It was a special day to remember. That title meant so much to the organization. Talk about teamwork, hard work ethic, and sticking together as a whole. It gave the term Dynasty to the San Antonio Spurs. The only sports moment that will top it off is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. 

Who would you like to meet and why?

I would love to meet “Barrel Man” Tim McKernan. Who I consider, the first Ultimate/Super Fan of Fans. He led by example of what it really means to be a Super Fan, threw supporting the team and charitable work. Through the good, bad and ugly, he represented all the time. I would love to ask him tons of questions. The first one would be, “Define Superfan!?”

What charitable programs are you involved with?

As of today, the only charitable work I'm involved with is with the PFUFA organization. Every year we visit the J. Babe Stern Community Center in Canton, OH, to support and provide under privileged children with school supplies and goodies to help their families out. We are full characterized and it brings such joy to the kiddos. I do assist friends with $$ donations to specifics charities when in need and the funds are there. I do what I can, when I can. I too am a STRONG Supporter for the FANS AGAINST CHILD ABUSE campaign, Fans Against Violence and Toys for Tots. 

How does your family feel about your passion for sports?

My family is very supportive. They think I'm Crazy. They love to tell their friends about my get up. I usually provide my trading card to them for them. (signed) My family has traveled with me as well. I have 2 children. Their mother is my number 1 fan. Im a strong BILLiver, that if you dont have your families support, you probably being a Superfan for the wrong reasons. My FanMilia, is another story, they are crazy like me! Everyone loves the fact that after all these years, I’m still a Bills fan. I get a lot of shaking heads and firm handshakes for my commitment.

How was your character or outfit created?

I'm Hispanic. My mask came from the "Lucha” aka Wrestling back ground. My Sombrero came from the vocal singers/group, Mariachi's. My Pancho is an added touch to the Hispanic culture. It’s what we wear. I have custom jeans with words "VIVA LOS BILLS" which is my get up phrase and of course the custom boots to add the awesome touch. I recently added a Carrilla, a chest holster and arm bands. In hopes to give me that extra crazy Hispanic Bills fan look. I started back in 08’/09’ wearing my mask to various games. I felt it was the cool thing to do. Slowly started adding item after item and then before my eyes, It was a full go to wear it all! 

How important is it to you to have an award show for fans?

I feel that an Award show for Fans is very important. No professional league really recognizes the hard work, the charitable events, the travel expense and time that we fans take to support them. It’s all money to them, but to us it’s all memories. This is an excitement for us fans and what we do is being recognized and listened to with this show. That in itself is something that keeps me going.

What would winning mean to you?

Winning this award would mean the "MUNDO" to me. (World) I have come a long way from the small city of El Paso, TX to becoming a Buffalo Bills fan. Who would have thought that a young Hispanic boy from the crazy lower valley streets of El Paso would be so in love with a team hundreds of miles away? I have spent numerous hours on the road, away from family, worked tons of overtime, volunteered numerous hours and lost my voice plenty of times to win this award, but most important, I have shaken hands with all other teams’ fans. Sportsmanship wins you over with everyone. I don't know if this would apply but it too would be an HUGE honor to be the 1st NFL Hispanic Award recipient. We are all one. We are all family. 

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and dedicated sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor!
www.whatafanshow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment