Thursday, January 21, 2016

James Allen Godley, What A Fan Awards 2016 NFL Fan of the Year Nominee

Meet James Allen Godley, What A Fan Awards 2016 NFL Fan of the Year Nominee. This Oakland Raiders super fan may seem seriously intimidating to look at but get to know him and you will quickly realize he is as compassionate about his community as he is passionate about his Raiders. We could not be more proud to honor him this year.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its has been held in Orlando Florida for the last three years and has now been relocated to Los Angeles California beginning July 15th 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a fan?

I have been a fan since I was seven years old. It started in 1970; I am originally from Greensboro, NC. My mom married my dad who was a Marine. We had to move to Cherry Point, NC. After living in base housing for a short time my dad received orders to go overseas for a year. Since his orders were shorter than a year the family could not go with him. He had to find us a place to live out in town because we could not live in base housing without him. When we moved into our new home the house next door was vacant. The people who lived there must have been from California because I found an Oakland A's helmet and an Oakland Raiders helmet in a sand box. Since I had previously lived in the country, this was one of the coolest things I had ever seen. This was the start of my passion. It would drive my mother crazy with my obsession for a team from California. It was hard for her to find things in the 1970s. Back then we had no internet and North Carolina stores did not carry anything Oakland Raiders. The first thing I ever received was an NFL Team jacket that she ordered from Sears. You know the one made of wool and had fake leather sleeves? I loved that jacket. Shortly after my love for the Raiders started I fell in love with the left handed Quarterback from Alabama, Kenny Stabler. I was also left handed and because people treated left handed people differently, it was great to see him on my favorite team. 

Why should you be selected the winner in this category?

Being chosen for this category would mean a lot to me for the simple fact that the perception of the Raider fans are trouble makers or gang related. That is all I had ever heard about Raider fans. I started being able to attend Raider games in 1991 and I got to meet some of these fans and I know they are just like me and very passionate for their team. To be chosen will be more for the Raider Nation rather than me. The Media’s perception may change from violent troublemakers to extreme fanatics. If I win then having the title would allow me to share my word about eliminating fan violence. I am a proud member of Fans Against Violence and if I can show people that you can go to sporting events and cheer on your team without causing trouble. This way we can keep this a family atmosphere so the passion will go on. I am passionate about my team and I love helping others to enjoy their experience at the live games, especially kids. I usually show up about four hours early to meet fans from both teams and encourage them to have a great time and to stay safe. I have never passed up an opportunity to take a picture with any fan. If we don’t build the passion for the sports that we love with our kids then the sport will not last.

What triggered your passion?

My passion from sports was as a kid watching the Raiders on television and playing tackle football in the yard with my friends. We tried to imitate the moves of the professional players. When I was 12 years old I suddenly wasn’t able to play it anymore. I had been diagnosed with Acute Lympocytic Leukemia. Not being able to do anything just increased my desire to be able to do it. I went through treatment and then started playing sports again. I played football with the Pop Warner league and baseball with Babe Ruth. I had some great coaches. They inspired me to do my best. Even though some knew my past medical condition and they often tried to limit me so I would not get hurt. Ray Woodall was the only coach that I never told and he pushed me harder than any coach I had. I got to be a first string player. I am a stronger person today for it. My enthusiasm still continues today with sports. I use this passion to bond with the kids. For 14 years I was involved with Pop Warner as a coach or as the Eastern District Commissioner. Youth sports are a place for kids to have fun, learn sportsmanship, and to challenge themselves. It develops confidence and lets them be part of a team. 

Why did you want to become a super fan?

I have always seen the Super Fans as part of the team and the image of being independent and not afraid of being different. They represent the spirit of the diversity and they want respect. They are never wavering. They stand tall and walk proud. They will chant their team name with honor as they march the streets going to the stadium. Players like Ted Hendricks, John Matuszak, Lester Hayes, Kenny Stabler, Jack Tatum, and Lyle Alzado created a bad boy image. The team’s aggressive style of playing helped them to win three super bowls. Members of the Raider Nation take pride in their image, and many devoted Raiders fans dress up in elaborate costumes on game day. Many of these costumes are intended to be intimidating and unusual while also adhering to the Raider's silver and black color scheme, and many fans also create alter egos for these characters as well. These fans are typically the ones that are most associated with the Raider Nation and The Black Hole (1). I am proud to be part of this Raider Nation. I created my alter ego Destruction as a representation of who I am; I fit this image of being intimidating and not afraid of being different. I am always devoted to my team. REFERENCE 1. "Raider Nation: Behind the Makeup". ESPN. 2010-05-11.

Favorite sports moment?

My favorite sports moment has to be to when I went to Atlanta to see the Raiders play the Falcons in 1991. This was the first game I ever went to. It was the first game the Falcons went back to black uniforms. They titled the game as Black Sunday. It was an exciting game because it was the first time I got to see the Raiders play in person. The game was not that memorable other then we lost. It was after the game that made it more memorable. My wife and I had checked in our luggage at the airport because we had a flight right after the game. The game was not going so well. We decided to leave four minutes left in the last quarter to beat the crowds. On our way down the escalator at the airport, I noticed a tall man and told my wife I thought I knew that guy. My wife laughed and said that we didn’t know anyone in Atlanta. We got into the train to take us to the terminal. I kept talking about this guy and others who were on the train. There was another man in a Raider shirt that was next to us. He said he overheard us talking. He asked me,” Who do I think that guy is?” I said I thought it was Greg Townsend of the Raiders but did not know how he could have been at the airport so early. The guy said it was Greg Townsend and said as a matter of fact that everyone on the train except for you and your wife are with the Raiders. I looked around and right next to me was sitting Ronnie Lott. As we arrived at the terminal we were located right across from the terminal where the Raiders were waiting for their plane. While waiting we all went to a diner to get a bite to eat and all the players were around me. I was in such awe that I could not even speak or ask for an autograph. 

Who would you like to meet and why?

I would like to meet GOD. I know this is not the traditional answer. I relate this question to the kids that I have met who have been sick with many terrible diseases. I had cancer twice in my lifetime and have decided to help kids with illness and helping them to understand and encourage them with their recovery. We adopted a daughter who lost both of her parents to cancer. Why did she have to lose the most important people in her life? Mickey Marvin, a former Raider player, who is one of the best Christians I know. He now has ALS. Why does such devastating disease have to happen to such a great person? If I could meet GOD then I could ask him why the kids have to suffer from these terrible diseases. Why are unspeakable things happening to good people? I have asked my pastor and still have not gotten the answer that makes reasonable sense. If GOD could provide me this answer then I may be able to help others with understanding this.

What charitable programs are you involved with?

After my second fight with cancer I was invited to an American Cancer Society Relay for Life event. After that event I because involved with Relay for Life for the past 19 years, as a walker, team member, team captain, or committee member. Through these events I have met many people who are going through treatments like I had. In some way I want to give them hope and encouragement for what they may have to experience. I am a member of the Fans Against Violence. Even though this organization is struggling to find its way I wear their patch on my outfit. I use it as a way to bring up conversation about ways we can stop the violence. On a more local note I have volunteered with fundraisers, support committee, cook and delivery person for families that are in need from illnesses or injuries. My business partner and I are on call for our local food pantry for unloading food donations because most of the volunteers are elderly and not able to move large quantities or the heavy items. As a building contractor, my partner and I are often called from our pastor to volunteer our time with assisting the Department of Social Services for families in need. We have fixed leaks in roofs; installed handicap ramps, fixed broken windows, etc. We have been asked to assist in other charitable causes from people who know us in our community. 

How does your family feel about your passion for sports?

My family probably thinks I am crazy for being such a fanatic. They are supportive and encourage me in my efforts for promoting Fans Against Violence and helping others. A few of them are also Raider fans. My wife of 31 years knew I was always a super fan and knew she could never change that about me. She is always by my side. I have taken my kids to the games when I am dressed as Destruction. They see people trying to take pictures with me and how it brings another level of excitement for being at the game. We live so far away I try to go to as many east coast games as I can so my family can go with me. We often joke that our vacations all revolve around Raider games. My family enjoys the other fans and Raider fanatics. The Raider fans are a great group of people to hang out with. My adopted daughter was a Steeler fan but after going to a game she become a Raider fanatic and has started dressing up. She calls herself Little Miss Raider. My son and I have not missed a Raider vs. Panthers game yet. We are a close family with lots of love and support for each other. All my family members love to cheer me on and openly admit they know me. LOL. They are my super fans.

How was your character and outfit created?

My outfit started after going to my first Raider game and seeing the other Super Fans. The idea came from playing off the Raider Pirate and Grimm Reaper themes. I kept going to Halloween shops and found items that I could use. It has evolved over the years. I started going to games as Destruction in 2003. I went through the tailgate section and met Spike and many of the Super Fans. They all liked my outfit and accepted me as a true fan. I am a contractor so the name Destruction fit me as well as being a representative for the Raider Nation. 

How important is it to you to have an award show for fans?

I think it is very important to show the fans contribution with sports. Without the fans there is no reason for the sports. The fans, like the athletes, drive the sports. I would think that an award for the fans only help drive the sports to grow. Fans have a lot of spirit. The spirit increases the excitement. An award like this may give a platform for those that are doing charity or volunteer work that may help other s to become involved with it. It is great to be recognized for your efforts. It encourages others to contribute. I believe no fan should be bigger than any other of the fan base. We are all just one. It can show you don’t have to be from the same state to be as big of a fan as a season ticket holder. As part of the Raider Nation of the Crystal Coast Booster Club, I get to meet fans who came from all over. When we went to London we got to meet some great fans there as well. Raider Nation is international. The fan awards bring together the best from all sports and all types of fans. Just win baby.

What would winning mean to you?

First of all just being nominated is an honor. The nomination only has to come from one person who thinks that you are worthy of being recognized for the work that you are going. I am extremely honored that I was nominated by Dylan Hershberger who was the winner of the 2015 Kids Award. Prior to being nominated I did not know what the award was for. I never got into being a Super Fan to be nominated for an award. Winning the What A Fan Award will help me with getting others attention and maybe getting them involved with making a difference by working either with the charities that I care for or ones that will inspire them. My family and friends will certainly get more from award status then I would because that just isn’t me. I just want to make a difference. This award would help to alter the depiction of a Raider fan. I can send this out to the media when they say something negative about the Raider fans. On a personal note it would be great to know that I can be recognized as being the same level of fan as the one that gets to sit in the stadium every week. Being in North Carolina is a challenge but this challenge does not hold me back. 

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and dedicated sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor!
www.whatafanshow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment