Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Shelton Douthett, 2016 What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet Shelton Douthet, What A Fan Awards 2016 NCAA Football Fan of the Year Nominee. This Miami Hurricanes super fan is passionate about his team and dedicated to keeping his brothers memory alive as well. His story will break your heart and inspire you at the same time.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its has been held in Orlando Florida for the last three years and has now been relocated to Los Angeles California beginning July 15th 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a fan?

Well I been a fan going on 20 plus years. Me and brother stayed glue to the tv or our eyes on the field at the Orange Bowl. Basically our whole family gravitated to the University of Miami
 
What's your favorite sport and team?

Football and the Miami Hurricanes.

Tell us why you should be selected winner in your category?

To be honest, Just being nominated is enough award for me. I have never been nominated for anything in my life. I do what I do cause I made a promise to my brother who I loved more than anything in the world and the love for the Hurricanes. I don't do this for fame nor glory. The fact that people say what I do is a inspiration and making other people smile is rewarding.

What triggered your passion for sports?

One word. Family. It is extremely important in my life. Ever since I played football in the peewee league and high school, I considered all my team mates my brothers. We win together, lose together but at the end of the day we still play another game. Football has a stronger bond than any other sport to me.

Favorite sports moment?

I have so many but my most favorite one is my first Hurricane game. I'm not too sure about the date but I was at-least 6 or 7. I remember the seats my brother and I sat in seats 11 and 12, upper deck of the Orange Bowl. They were playing the Syracuse Orange-men. At that moment when I saw the Hurricanes run through the smoke, I knew I was in this for life!

Who would you like to meet and why?

Dwayne "THE ROCK" Johnson. Not only that he was a standout Miami Hurricane player, he was my favorite wrestler. Even after his wrestling career, I followed his acting career. Majority of his roles are family oriented, that's what I admire most about him. His twitter feed is full of inspirational and spiritual quotes. 

What charitable programs are you involved with?

In honor of my brothers memory, my family and I started The Wayne Douthett Memorial Scholarship Foundation. It is awarded to a student that is attending The Marian Center, a school for special needs children. My brother attended that school for many years and it was basically his second home. So we are giving a another child the blessing they gave my brother.

How does you family feel about your passion for sports?

My family is behind my passion %100. They became as big of fans as me. My mother and father dont really come to the games but they rub my helmet before I go as a ritual. Even when I had surgery for my broken leg in 2012, my parents went to the first game and pushed me in my wheelchair 

How was your character and costume created?

Me and my brother were huge Miami Hurricanes fans. Went to every game together, matching jerseys and everything. People knew us as the twins. In 2009, we went to our first away game in Tallahassee. After that game, my brother became sick. I missed a couple of home games to watch the games in the hospital with him. While in the hospital, my brother asked me jokingly when would I wear all the Miami Hurricanes memorabilia to a game. I said "as soon as you get out the hospital, I'll do it". About a week later, he got better and left the hospital. But the pneumonia came back. So unfortunately he passed away. When the Miami Hurricanes were chosen to play in the Champs Sports Bowl in Orlando, I knew I had to keep my promise. So I bought cleats, game used pants, shoulder pads, gloves, and I used one of my helmets I bought from Ebay. I went to the bowl in a full Miami Hurricane uniform. People thought I was an actual player walking around. Some would come and ask why am I dressed li ke this. When I told them, I got a lot of hugs and them telling me they admire my commitment and the love I had for my brother. Some even donated to the scholarship fund me and my parents started. So as the uniforms evolved on the field, so did mine. I tried to keep up and look like I belonged on the field as me and my brother always used to talk about being on the field with the Hurricanes.

How important is it for you to have an award show for fans?

I love the fact that there is an awards show fans. Fans make the game great. Without the passionate one, we wouldn't have the cheeseheads of Greenbay, the Dawg Pound in Cleveland and so on. So why not recognize them? The dedication that most of the people put into their teams so admirable at times.

What would winning mean to you?

As I said before, nominating me is a win for me. But actually winning this award would mean the world. Not only because of what I dress up as but people see how my brother and family mean to me as a whole. Any one who knows me, Im an extremely humble person. So do I deserve to win? Maybe I do but I know there is others. But if I do, this win is not for me. Its for my brother who is watching from above.  

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and dedicated sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! 
www.whatafanshow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment