Friday, August 21, 2015

Danny Thompson, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet Danny Thompson, 2015 What A Fan Awards Online Media/Blog Nominee. This NBA sports fanatic found a way to turn his passion for basketball into a full time opportunity. His radio show is as entertaining as it is informative.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its been held in Orlando Florida but will be relocated to Los Angeles California in 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a fan?

Lifelong NBA fan.

Why should you be selected winner in this category?

I have taken my passion for the NBA, its teams, players and fans and turned into a blog, website, and internet Radio Podcast that is now on 740 AM Orlando in less than 18 months.

What triggered your passion for sports?

My parents were basketball fans, my mother was the biggest Dr. J fan and I was born during the 1983 NBA Finals. My father was a basketball coach in the military and i was drooling on the sports page at 18 months old. Basketball has been in my blood and spirit my whole life. Going to Hornets games as kid, watching Bulls games with my father on Saturday nights on WGN, TNT Friday night doubleheaders with my brother, nights of playing NBA related video games. I have written for NBA websites in the past and worked on EA Sports NBA Live Basketball Series as a Roster/Rating Designer. 

Favorite sports moment?

Meeting Michael Jordan during a Charlotte Bobcats Season Ticket Holder event and asking him about his thoughts on becoming an NBA owner of a team in his home state.

Who would you like to meet and why?

I would love to meet David Stern and ask him about the differences he had transitioning the NBA from the Bird/Magic days through the Jordan years to the present state. 

What charitable programs are you involved with?

Will be involved in more charity events in the upcoming year. Will be able to provide more time to helping young NBA fans and kids who love journalism grow their involvement.

How does your family feel about your passion for sports?

My wife always jokes that our vacations are planned around sports. She has watched my passion for sports, broadcasting and writing from the day we started dating. She is my number one supporter. She makes sure that I have my time to prepare the show, do the show and have time to write for the website. She is always taking care of our 2 kids and making show especially easy. We take the kids to as many games as they can stand. She's not the biggest basketball fan, but she will go to games and her and kids allow me to enjoy NBA League Pass on a nightly basis. My family supported my long hours at EA Sports designing on the NBA Live series, by making sacrifices involving family time and events to let me pursue my passion. My parents have always known my love for sports and have always wanted me to excel what I do. My father tunes in to the show weekly. My brother always wanted me to be a journalist. He pushed me in every direction when it came to writing and media. He always stayed on my case about writing and wouldn't stop until I became a success. 

How important is it to you to have an Award Show for fans?

It's so important because without fans, i wouldn't be in the position I am now. I"m a diehard fan who has taken is love for sports and especially the NBA and it's fans. This show is provides NBA fans from all over a voice to let express themselves. The growth is because of every fan contributing each and everyday. My show allows them to have that platform. The website allows them to express themselves through written words. Each member of NBAFCPRADIO.com are fans. True everyday fans who want to express themselves through words. I'm here to express myself and allow other do the same. The NBA doesn't have their own platform on sports radio. Now they do and I get to express myself as well.

What would winning the What A Fan Awards mean to you?

Winning this award for me is a humbling honor. I'm a die-hard fan of NBA Basketball. I have lived it, experienced it in so many ways and now i have found my voice. It's the same voice that is spoken in barbershops across the country, the water coolers at work, the bus stops in the morning, at backyard BBQ's and sports bars everywhere. I do this not just for my passion but I do it for each and every person who can't lace up a pair of Nike's. The person who can't play along side Kevin Durant. Or go down low with Dwight Howard. I'm the voice of the people who can't have a voice. This show and this website is all about the people. This award to mean means all of the hard work, sleepless nights, all of the hours spent working on my craft. The sacrifices that i have made at this point. I want to win this award to show my kids (especially my 9 year old son), all of the people who said that this show wouldn't be successful and to every person who laughs at people passion and desire to be great. That with hard work and a no quit attitude that you can be successful if you continue and never give up. I'm humbled and honored to be able to be selected for this award. 

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and fanatic sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! #Fans247 #whatafan #whatafanawards #SportsFansConference 

8 comments:

  1. Danny Thompson's radio show is one of the best I've heard. He is very knowledgeable and has great guests on his show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danny Thompson is very knowledgeable and very passionate about the NBA. And that is expressed everytime he touches the mic for his shows. He does great work and is very deserving of this award.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have never met an NBA fan until you've met Danny Thompson. His love and passion for basketball has colored his life, hell he got me watching the Orlando Magic again! No may weather fan around this guy lol!!! Congrats on being nominated Danny!! You and your family deserve to win!! What an amazing guy!,

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have never met an NBA fan until you've met Danny Thompson. His love and passion for basketball has colored his life, hell he got me watching the Orlando Magic again! No may weather fan around this guy lol!!! Congrats on being nominated Danny!! You and your family deserve to win!! What an amazing guy!,

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have never met an NBA fan until you've met Danny Thompson. His love and passion for basketball has colored his life, hell he got me watching the Orlando Magic again! No may weather fan around this guy lol!!! Congrats on being nominated Danny!! You and your family deserve to win!! What an amazing guy!,

    ReplyDelete
  7. You passion for NBA runs through your veins and shows in everthing you do. You deserve this win!!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete