Sunday, August 16, 2015

Lisa Wetzel, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its been held in Orlando Florida but will be relocated to Los Angeles California in 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.

Meet Lisa Wetzel, 2015 What A Fan Awards Nominee for the Arena Football Fan of the Year. She has been passionate about the Orlando Predators for several years. Additionally she is extremely active in her community, a truly compassionate sports fan.

 How long have you been a AFL fan?

I have been tailgating and attending Orlando Predator Football games for 10 years. . I have only missed one home game in 10 years because I was in a wedding. My husband was transferred to Tampa in 2009 and even then we decided that we would still do what we had to do to get to the games so we travel over 300 miles round trip to every game. I try to travel to away games when I can also. I help organize group trips for the Florida away games for our fan club members.

Why should you be selected to represent the AFL category? 

I try my best to represent everything good about being an arena football fan. I am dedicated and strive to get more fans involved with our team and club. If I win I feel it would be a great way to show fans in the AFL that our sport isn’t as minor as people say it is. The recognition could hopefully help me build a bigger fan base for our team, club and most of all with helping our charities.

 What triggered your passion for sports?

My family was always big into College Football (University of Miami) when I was growing up. My dad still has a video of a news crew that came out and filmed us when we lived in South Flordia during Christmas time when we helped our neighbors spell out UM with Christmas lights on their roof. But when I attended the first Arena football game I was hooked and we became season ticket holders.

What charitable projects are you involved with?

2 years ago I was asked to be on the board and help create a fan club for the Orlando Predators. What an honor!! The one stipulation I had when accepting is that we would be helping as many charities as we could handle. Besides my full time job I also work with a tele-medicine company and I help set up nonprofits with a fundraiser program so that they can receive residual income to their program. Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorders Center of Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta. I help with the fundraiser by reaching out for donations for a fundraiser we have every year. Since I am very competitive I go over and beyond to make sure our office’s raffle basket has the most to offer and raises the most money. Vi Cares, I got involved with a company with intentions of using their products to help myself with weight loss. I did lose 70 pounds but in the process but I also discovered the benefits of helping others do the same and donating meal replacements to overweight or obese children that can help change their lives both physically and mentally. Debbie Turners Cancer Center, this is a charity I help through our club and every year we donate a Predhead to raise money for her center. This year I also have arranged to have her sell fundraiser tickets at my clubs table during the football games and have put it up on our website as well. Alzheimer’s Foundation, Every year I organize our club to walk together and last year we raised a little over $900 for the walk. Russell Home Orlando, this is a charity I help through our club and every year we donated a Predhead and this year it raffled for just over $600. Fans against Child Abuse, I try to attend every event possible. This is also a charity I help through our club and In April I arranged and advertised the Christmas in July event through the club. I was a bit nervous being the first time helping out with this event. I was so proud that we were able to encourage over 3 barrels of toys at the April Orlando Predators home game. We have also put our fans against child abuse banner on the back of our business cards. SNIP, I found out some of our members run this nonprofit and have been working with them through the club to get more exposure and fundraising during our football games. I am an animal lover so working with this nonprofit means a lot to me. I also have a great relationship with the staff at the Orlando Predators office so any functions and charities that they participate in they will call me so I can get a group of us fans together to help out.


How was your character created?

Since our team is the Orlando Predators I wear my Predhead to all games and events. I was attending games with the Predheads for many years and decided that it was time to have one of my own. Each Predhead design is created by the individual and how they want it themed but it is created as a Predhead to represent our team and it is made by the President of our club who has been making them since the team began back in 1991.. My design was inspired by a company that helped me change my life while using their program which helped my lose 70 pounds. I always wear a PredNation or an Orlando Predators shirt at every event to represent my support to my team and club. I will be currently working on creating a new Predhead with the creator so that I can pass mine down to my niece.

What do you think about an Award Show for fans?

I think the idea of recognizing the fans is genius. We do not get much recognition. Without the fans in the stands the show cannot go on. Every year I attend this conference leaving with new friendships from others from all over the world. It’s amazing to see fans all coming together for the love of being a fan no matter who the team is that they are fans of.

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and fanatic sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! #Fans247 #whatafan #whatafanawards #SportsFansConference 

8 comments:

  1. I hope you win it this year, Lisa you deserve it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone deserves this it is certainly Lisa! Your countless hours in the community and for your team do not go unnoticed. Just like your passion does not. It's time others see it as well. Go Lisa, Go Preds, Go PredNation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her she is my Superwoman! ! She does so many things to support our team and our club. She is very involved in different charities as well as helping out her friends or people in need. She should be the Queen!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not bias because she is my wife but she deserves this more than anything or anybody. She has bent over backwards, forwards and every other which way to keep this club running. She does it for the love of the Orlando Predators and the AFL. She is a big supporter in Charities for herself and the club. Keep up the good work and bring this mother home for yourself, club, and the Orlando Predators. Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa is a great leader and team motivator. She is a true believer in helping out the community all through the year.I truly enjoy working with her on community events. She is so deserving of this award. Go Lisa we love you for what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love you for your hard word and passion for our Orlando Predators and PredNation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa is very dedicated and involved with this club ...she works hard ...half the time when we are tailgating and stuffing or faces she is in front of the arena signing people up for our club ...go Lisa !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Without Lisa this engine ( PredNation) wouldn't be running on all cylinders.She is the reason this club has come as far as it has.Her dedication & devotion to our Orlando Predators, members,fans & charities, puts her in a league of her own.Thank you for all you do!!!

    ReplyDelete