Sunday, August 16, 2015

Rhonda Yocks, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its been held in Orlando Florida but will be relocated to Los Angeles California in 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.

Meet Rhonda Yocks, 2015 What A Fan Awards Nominee for MLB Fan Of The Year. She is part of a group of ladies that are avid St. Louis Cardinals fans.

How long have you been a fan?

My parents & grandmother took me to my first Cardinals baseball game to celebrate my 8th birthday. At the time Orlando Cepeda, who happened to play for Atlanta was my favorite player. My grandmother nearly crawled under her seat when I stood up and cheered for my favorite player after hitting a home run. I have been hooked on the game ever since.

What triggered your passion for sports?

 My passion for baseball was inherited from my dad. He had week-end tickets to the Cardinals games and often would include me. It was during one of these week-ends he introduced me to Janie Goss and Becky Johns. The years passed and so did my dad. I took over ownership of the tickets. Janie and Becky share the same passion for the Cardinals as I do. There were times when we coordinated the color of the jersey we would wear, or which t-shirt, or which shoes or earrings. During the play-offs in 2002 we started wearing bring red wigs. Each year for the play-offs we come up with different red wigs and occasionally enhance this with funny glasses or tiara's. With the home opener of 2013 we began wearing wigs - it's a celebration of baseball! Being around Janie and her unbelievable passion for the game is contagious and you can't help but be swept up in the fun.

What athlete would you like to meet and why?

 Rick Ankiel, former pitcher and outfielder of the St. Louis Cardinals. Rick began as a pitcher. That didn't work out for him, but his passion of the game kept him going and he re-invented himself as an outfielder so that he could continue doing something he loved, baseball.

How was the character and outfit created?

 The outfit started during the play-offs in 2002 and each year it is different, yet always coordinated among the group. We have had bright red sparkly wigs, bright red curly wigs, short red wigs and occasionally red white and blue wigs. Each year we try to do something a little bit different, always focusing on Red.

What would winning a What A Fan Award mean to you?

It would be like winning the world series!

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and fanatic sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! #Fans247 #whatafan #whatafanawards #SportsFansConference 

No comments:

Post a Comment