Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Maximus McWilliam, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet James "Maximus" McWilliam, 2015 What A Fan Awards Arena Football League Fan of the Year Nominee. We have and continue to be surprised by the number of passionate AFL fans out there. Despite the challenges the League is having the fan base they've got is extremely supportive and Maximus is one of the super fans leading the charge.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its been held in Orlando Florida but will be relocated to Los Angeles California in 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a fan?

Of Cleveland sports teams, all of my 42 years on this planet. The Gladiators since their move here in 2008. 

What triggered your passion for sports?

I'm from northeast Ohio, its in our DNA here. My mom helped run a bowling alley when I was a newborn, my dad took me to my first Indians game when I was 5 years old.

Favorite sports moment?

A tie between the Gladiators 2014 season, Len Barker's perfect game, and the Browns shutting out the Steelers.

Who would you like to meet and why?

I've met a lot of my sports heroes already, so, maybe, Brian Sipe or Len Barker.

What charitable programs are you involved with?

I donate to as many charitable groups as I can. I believe in helping as much as possible.   

How does your family feel about your passion for sports?

My family LOVES my passion, in fact, my nephew joins me at every Gladiators home game! Any extra tickets I have had have gone to my dad & my brothers.

How was your character created?

I figured dressing as a gladiator was perfect for the team, and I am a fan of the Ridley Scott film "Gladiator" starring Russell Crowe as Maximus Decimus Meridius, I wear the helmet of the Spaniard from the film done up in the Gladiators helmet color & logo.

Tell us a humorous story about yourself or team?

Running into players and other fans outside the games when I'm out of costume the first time is always fun, because I will talk about the Gladiators a lot and ask if they know the crazy guy in the end zone dressed up as a gladiator. Then I see if they figure out in him.  

What would winning the What A Fan Awards mean to you?

It would mean a lot to me. I do this out of my love for my city & my team. I was raised to root for the name on the front of the jersey, and I know Cleveland gets to be the butt of a lot of people's jokes, but we're a great city by a great lake full of hard working great people. Winning a WHAT A FAN award being a kid from the Cleveland area would mean to me, that, we may not have won a championship in a LONG LONG while, but, we NEVER GIVE UP ON OUR CITY, & OUR TEAM! 

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and fanatic sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! #Fans247 #whatafan #whatafanawards #SportsFansConference 

No comments:

Post a Comment