Monday, August 31, 2015

Little Birdman, What A Fan Amazing Kids Fan Nominee

Say hello to Gianni "Little Birdman" Zandri, 2015 What A Fan Awards Amazing Kids Fan of the Year Nominee. We've seen this young man all over the place, games, tv, publications and his popularity is pretty cool. He's turned his passion for the Miami Heats Birdman into a awesome super fan character.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its been held in Orlando Florida but will be relocated to Los Angeles California in 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a fan?

My whole life - been going to games since i was 5.

Why should you be selected winner in this category?

I love my teams, no matter what! Even if they are having a bad game or a bad season, i still cheer them on! I love to go to the games and cheer the players on and I know they appreciate it! I actually mixed my two favorite teams when I took Jonathan Huberdeau and Nick Bjugstad from the Florida Panthers to a Miami Heat game.  

What triggered your passion for sports?

I have just always gone to games with my Dad and enjoy making memories with my Dad. 

Facorite sports moment?

When the NBA Heat won the Championship and they let me hole the Larry Obrien Championship Trophy!

Who would you like to meet and why?

Sidney Crosby. I met everyone on the Pittsburgh Penguins and they all signed a pro goalie mask for me but they took Sidney out another way with security! I think he's hard to meet! He is an amazing player and seems like a really nice guy. 

What charitable programs are you involved with?

I volunteer with youth groups and have helped the Boys and Girls club of Florida. Also Feeding South Florida which gets meals to kids that don't have them!

How does your family feel about your passion for sports.

My family loves my passion for sports and they share it with me.

Tell us why you love your team or player?

In hockey, i love the Florida Panthers! It's hard for me to pick a favorite player so i will pick 2. Joanthan Huberdeau and Nick Bjugstad. (Sorry Aaron Ekblad) I have been very lucky and got to know both Jonny and Nick over the last few years. I usually wait after the games to tell them they played well (even in a loss) and talk to them for a minute. Sometimes , when they are on the road playing, I write Jonathan Huberdeau private messages on Instagram about the game. He is so nice and always writes back - i think on the bus on teh way to the plane! My Dad knows i can't decide who is my favorite so he got me a jersey that said "Huberstad" on the back - that is a mix of both of their names! I even went to a Miami Heat game with them one night against the Bulls and we all had a blast. They are really down to earth guys and very nice. I met their families too - usually when they come to visit from Quebec or Minnesota over the holidays. They are both young guys and work hard. N ick graduate from college early but still went back and finished school even after he was a pro. Nick came to our seats during my birthday party and met all my friends. He also went and met with all the kids from the boys and girls club. (we gave them 20 seats that night) he spoke to them and signed autographs which was so cool. Nick is such a nice guy, next year he got a box with 20 seats and is giving it to different youth groups and charities for each game! He is such a good role model. Both Jonny and Nick are really good guys and always take time for fans! I know they are going to have a great season this year! 

How was your character created?

Miami Heat - Little Birdman - It started with a mohawk and i just wanted to meet Chris (Birdman) Andersen again for a picture with the Mohawk like his. Then the Media from the NBA Finals started taking a lot of pictures of me and they were in all the newspapers the next day. So, the next game, my Dad took me to a tattoo parlor and they wrote on me for 4 hours and made the same tattoos that birdman had. It became a real hit with all of the tattoos. Shaq sent out a selfie with me and so did Mr. Arison (Heat Owner) and other celebrities - it was a blast!

How important is it to you to have an Award Show for fans?

Sometimes the players or teams do show their appreciation for fans - fan night or they say something in speeches. This really takes it to the next level and lets everyone know about superfans - even out of their area or out of their sport! 

What would winning the What A Fan Awards mean to you?

Winning would say that I did a great job cheering on my team! It would be great and show other kids that they can get more involved and it shows that the craziness and team spirit is appreciated!

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and fanatic sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! #Fans247 #whatafan #whatafanawards #SportsFansConference 



No comments:

Post a Comment