Thursday, August 27, 2015

Chris Barker, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet Chris Barker, 2015 What A Fan Awards NFL Fan of the Year Nominee. This die-hard Miami Dolphins fan is living his dream. He doesn't miss a Dolphins game and travels to several if not all away games as well. His devotion is serious.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its been held in Orlando Florida but will be relocated to Los Angeles California in 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a fan?

All my life--going on 33 years.

Why should you be selected winner in this category?

Since 1997, I started traveling to the Miami Dolphins "away' games. I ended up at the same hotel as the team when the played the Rams, and since that time, I have traveled to EVERY away game the Dolphins have played. The staff of the Dolphins know me and provide me the hotel names of where the team will be staying in each city. I have flown to London twice to see my Dolphins play and will be flying over, again, this year to see them beat the Jets. I also, of course, am a season ticket holder for our home games. I attend training camp, and all opportunities to see the team at any sessions provided. The team has recognized me as their best fan with a trip to the Cayman Islands. Also, our local tv station came to my home to interview me and show the viewers my dedication to the team. The Dolphins also wrote an article on their Dolphins.com website about all my travels to their away games. The team recognizes me wherever I travel or at our home games. It's a great time when our quarterback knows me by name--along with our coaches and staff. I live, breathe and can endure anything as long as I can be part of the Miami Dolphins!!! I also update my Facebook page continually with Miami Dolphins news. People recognize me even in England from my Facebook updates. No matter what stadium, in another city/state, I enter, people are yelling out my name and asking to take a picture with me. Not because I wear a funny costume but because they are appreciative of all the updates I supply them--not for any monetary reason but only because of my love for this team.

What triggered your passion?

Watching Dan Marino as our quarterback.

Favorite sports moment?

Attending Dan Marino's Hall of Fame Induction in Canton, Ohio.

Who would you like to meet and why?

Coach Don Shula since he not only is the winningest coach in NFL history, he was the coach of the Miami Dolphins Perfect Season, 1972.

What charitable programs are you involved with?

AARP Meal Pack.

How does your family feel about your passion for sports?

My family fully supports my passion, so much that my mother attends every game with me. She, too, loves the Dolphins.

How was your character created?

I wear only a Dolphin's jersey to the games. I only wear Miami Dolphins shirts, everyday, as my wardrobe--I do not wear plain shirts.

Share a humorous story with us?

We attended the Dolphins vs. the Jets game in East Rutherford, NJ Sunday, Oct. 28, 2012. We were to fly back to Ft. Lauderdale the next morning. Hurricane Sandy changed those plans. All flights were cancelled. Our team hotel (in Jersey City, NJ) had to evacuate everyone and notes were left under our hotel door, telling us that the tunnels to NYC would all be closed by 2:00 that day. It was now 12:00 when we found out. Not only did we need to evacuate, but the hotel also stated that there were no rooms remaining in NJ hotels. We went to the front desk and asked what should we do. They randomly called a hotel by Newark Airport and since all flights were cancelled, the flight crews would not be staying at their normal hotels. We got a room. The hotel car drove us to the Newark hotel and within one hour of our arrival, the electricity went off for three days! Hotel rooms, in the dark, with no hot running water and pitch black bathrooms were a new adventure. Plus, our cell phone batteries were on the very low end of their life. That next weekend, the Dolphins were to play in Indianapolis and we had our tickets, at home, for that game. We had our tickets FedEx'd to us at the hotel in Indianapolis. We were near the airport, so once some transportation started up again, and flights were starting to resume, we changed our flight from HELL to Indianapolis from Newark. We were wearing the same clothes when we finally flew out and the team arrived. The guys all enjoyed our story of how they were able to flight out on their charter flight but we were stuck, from one week to another, in a hotel with no electricity. and no clean clothes.

What would winning the What A Fan Awards mean to you?

Winning this award would mean the world to me. It would show all my fellow fans and the team, how much I do love this team. I realize that they are aware of my devotion since I do have 5,000 followers on my Facebook page, where I update everyone on the latest Dolphins news. I update due to my dedication to this team. This award would be the ultimate recognition of all my efforts for my beloved Dolphins.

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and fanatic sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! #Fans247 #whatafan #whatafanawards #SportsFansConference 

1 comment:

  1. I know a lot of Dolphin Fans since I have been one myself since their inception is 1966!! Chris Barker is widely recognized as our teams #1 Fan for all he does for this team and for other fans in keeping us updated with the information he receives from the team hierarchy. I have never in my life seen a fan as dedicated to his team as Chris is and just want to reiterate that he deserves and should be the winner of this contest!! CHRIS BARKER......"WHAT A FAN!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete