Saturday, August 22, 2015

Panther Predator, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet William "Panther Predator" Kalai, 2015 What A Fan Awards NFL Fan of the Year Nominee. Over the years we've seen predator characters in a number of sports but this Carolina Panther super fan has taken it to another level. We are always concerned about fans safety early in football season but this fanatic stays cool while firing up the crowd.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its been held in Orlando Florida but will be relocated to Los Angeles California in 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
What's your favorite sport or team?

I am a huge Carolina Panther football fan. I was born and raised in Southern new Jersey surrounded by Eagles and giants fans, I was the outcast. I have been a panther fan since day one. The second year they they came in to the league I painted a huge mural of the Panthers logo on my wall mind you the landlord was not happy. When I was a bit 20 year old I fell 40 ft off a roof and shattered my ankle completely now it is full of metal, broke my lower back and shattered both my hands. I was down very depressed stuck in a hospital for 3 weeks then in a rehab center for 6 months was a very depressing time I was a firefighter and it was a dream of mine to be one since I was a kid. After that fall I could not do it anymore. At least I didn't think I would be able to. But not being able to do much I would watch tv late that night and I would mostly watch sports especially football. Football I would have to say helped me get through the depressing time and watching players bounce back fr om very bad injuries motivated me to ot give up. Stay positive and look at the fact I was still alive after fall 40 ft. Living in jersey I didn't get to see many games unless they played the Eagles. I would go to every panther vs eagle game wearing my Panthers gear proud. Mind you Philadelphia fans have a nasty reputation and and they showed it when I came in there stadium wear panther gear. My dream was always Charlotte always loved Charlotte and the Panthers. I seen the Panthers fan base as quiet fans. I said to my self I'm going to move to Charlotte and build a costume to wear to home and away games. Since the panther is a predator. I came up with the Panther Predator, not expecting to get all the attention I received from all over. I went to away games in Tampa, Baltimore, Atlanta last year and fans from them location knew exactly who I was greeted me with open arms. This year I plan on attending all the home games, and away games to Jacksonville, Tampa, Atlanta and Nashville. I made this costume to change the fan morale and so far it has done that. Now we have a group of fans that dress up proudly with me and the fans love it and look forward to seeing us. PANTHER NATION!!! KEEP POUNDING 

How long have you been a fan?

I have been a fan before they played there first game when I saw in the NFL shop catalog that the Panthers as jags were coming in to the league. I loved the Panthers colors and love everything about them now!! Win or loses or tie I'm a panther fan until I die. 

Why should you be selected winner in this category?

I should be a winner of my category because, my passion for my team and city, my passion is contagious it had spread to the city of Charlotte all over social media, other fans are inspired by my passion for my team and several tell me they look forward to seeing me at games and team events. I spread and share ideas to all fans. It is an honor already to represent my city and the Carolina Panthers. It would be a greater honor to win for my city and team.

What triggered your passion for sports?

Growing up in always wanted to play football. But I wasn't aloud because I only have one kidney and my parents and Dr said it was best for me not to play in case I got hit and damaged my only kidney. I loved football so much that I would study it as if it was my job. I would be able to tell you almost every player on a team even if they were players on the bench. When me and my family would watch football ball I would say that's so and so he's from this college played this position in college and now he plays this position. I would be like watch this guy he's going to be a sleeper. Or this guy's going be good in a few years. My family would tell me I needed a hobby becaue I knew so much about football. I would be able to point players out and they would not even be wearing a jerseys to tell. Me who it is. I studied football so much I just knew by there face who they were. So my passion has come from wanting to play football so bad but Couldn't due to medical reason. But it didn't stop me from being a huge fan of the sport and my team.

Favorite sports moment?

My favorite sports moment would have to be when the Carolina Panthers went to the super bowl. It was amazing no one gave us a Chance and they fought till the end. It was one of the best super bowls in history. 

Who would you like to meet and why?

I would have loved to meet Sam Mills. Sam Mills taught me a lot. He taught me to keep fighting no matter what. Doesn't matter the circumstances in life just keep pounding.

What charitable programs are you involved with?

I am currently not a part of and charitable program, I have been trying to get a group of my panther fans that dress up with me together and reach out to charity events. But at this time we have not started or become a member of a charitable program. I would like to pursue it in the future. 

How does your family feel about your passion?

My family loves my passion, they see me on TV, all over social Media, they see the fan support and the reaction I get from people all over. They know how big of a fan I always was of the Panthers so they enjoy it a lot.

How was your character created?

It was created because the Panther is a predator and when we drafted Kelvin Benjamin I knew with his size he would be a redzone predator. So I made my costume off the panther and Kelvin Benjamin. 

How important is it for you to have an Award Show for fans?

It is very important I love to have an award show 1 because it recognizes the super fan the dedication that fan puts in his or her team. The time and effort they put in there costume, being a super fan is contagious and shows other fans they can do it also with just a little bit of creativity.

What would winning the What A Fan Awards mean to you?

It would mean so much to me to win the what a fan award. It would inspire a lot of fans kids and adults. Winning just makes want to keep me to keep going and designing more costumes and ideas not just for me but other fans. Winning would be an honor that words could not explain. 

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and fanatic sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! #Fans247 #whatafan #whatafanawards #SportsFansConference 




No comments:

Post a Comment