Thursday, August 20, 2015

Peter Zolkiewski, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet Peter Zolkiewski, 2015 What A Fan Awards NFL Fan of the Year Nominee. He's a die-hard Arizona Cardinals super fan that was recently brought to our attention. Although his team has not garnered the recognition of a winning franchise his passionate support has not change one bit. Its the quality in a true sports fan we admire most.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its been held in Orlando Florida but will be relocated to Los Angeles California in 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a fan?

Since 1987

Why should you be selected winner in this category?

Why should I be chosen winner of my category? I don't really like to think that I should be chosen over anyone because we all work hard at what we do. If I am chosen it will be because the Arizona Cardinals have had a less than stellar past 27 year. The devotion to the team, my alter-ego and my idea that maybe my passion will lead one addition fan to liking the team even through the most challenging of times makes me a good selection.

What triggered your your passion for sports?

Watching and playing baseball triggered my sports love. I started playing after watching the Kansas City Royals play the Chicago White Sox in 1980 (I was 8 at the time). My parents were not sports fans so, I was only able to watch the games when the TV was open and parents were not home or busy with chores. I soon started playing more then watching and would catch up on scores, stats, standings and news the next day by reading the papers every day. It was 1984 when football caught my eye. I has played it with friends and at school, but never really watched it on TV because I was always playing football with friends in Sundays. I was home one Sunday afternoon in 1984 watching the Bears play and 2 people caught my attention and it was all downhill from there. I saw Walter Payton and Jim McMahon out on the field playing ball (QB has always been my favorite position and it was easy to see why a kid would get drawn). After that I never played football on Sundays and was in each weekend either listening on the radio or catching it on TV. That is how I became attached to sports!

Favorite sports moment?

It would have to be Larry Fitzgerald's 64 yard in Super Bowl 43. Yes it was a loss, but the one moment we had the lead and a chance for what seemed like destiny to happen.

Who would you like to meet?

That's a hard question. I have met Walter Payton, Jim McMahon, and numerous Arizona Cardinals. Of tall the people, I would love to sit and talk family, football and life with Kurt Warner (and also run a few routes to have him throw me some passes).

What charitable programs are you involved with?

I am not involved with any one specific organization. I would say that any organization helping sick children, children from broken homes or children who's families are suffering thru financial hardships.

How does your family feel about your passion?

It's a mixed bag. I believe some thing I have completely lost my mind and some think it's a great thing. I would say the majority understand based on my personality and passion for sports it was inevitable.

How was your character created?

My character/ alter-ego was not actually what I had started with. At first I was the AzCardsSuperFan. My game day attire was wearing pads, jersey, facepaint and wig. It was after realizing this was not what best represented me (and the fact that others wore the same thing, made me realize that was going to have to change the following year). After doing some deep thought, soul searching and writing down many ideas, a few things came to mind as significant to me and I started from there. 1) As a kid, I was all about knowing all the players, their stats, strengths, weaknesses, how much they made, how long they were signed for, ect. 2) I remembered watching the Bears games and seeing all the die hard fans in the cold and rain. Some with arms, legs, and face painted, some in face paint only and others in full body paint no shirts on (some in incredibly cold weather). I decided I wanted to pay homage to those Die Hard's by doing something similar, but in my own way. 3) I've always been a fan of Kiss growing up and the face paint was just another part of thinking, oh I can pay homage to them and still not be an imitator. 4) I was also a fan of Duran Duran and the suits and exotic lifestyle was something I wanted to incorporate into the look, only I didn't know how until... One day I had wrote all the influences down and wanted to be something original, unique, fun and classy. It was when I saw the above written on paper and thought of the cover for dressed to kill, it was like foreshadowing what I envisioned.. I know I wanted to take the "Sunday" look (nicely dressed), thinking on Sundays I would always read the paper in the morning before everyone got up to catch up on Stats, News.. I felt like a GM at the time because I thought I knew as much or more. Well what do front office people typically wear? What day of the week are games mostly played? Put those two together and we have a nicely dressed person wearing their Sunday Best (Suit).. The rest just worked itself into the alter-ego. While being well dressed in face paint and wig, there is still a football fan under there, so don't be fooled by the look. There is a passionate Arizona Cardinals fan under all that.

How important is it for you to have an Award Show for Fans?

I think the leagues nowadays cater to the corporations or the wealthy and sometimes forget the reason for the success are the passionate fans in the who go to the games and purchase what the sponsors sell. Acknowledging the fans is a great way to promote those who go above and beyond. The Die Hard fans, the ones who go above and beyond, at least the ones who I know and have asked why do you do it, the answer is just like mine, for the love of the game and my team. It's never for attention, accolades or money. It's for your team and the love and pride you have for them.

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and fanatic sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! #Fans247 #whatafan #whatafanawards #SportsFansConference 

No comments:

Post a Comment