Saturday, August 22, 2015

Sea-Squatch, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet Heath "Sea-Squatch" Brewster, 2015 What A Fan Awards NFL Fan of the Year Nominee. When it comes to getting it right this Seattle Seahawks fan pretty much nailed it. His creative take on the Sask-Squatch myth was extremely clever. He's become a fan favorite and a true community activist.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its been held in Orlando Florida but will be relocated to Los Angeles California in 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a fan?

Thirty five (35) years.

Why should you be selected winner in this category?

I have been an ambassador for football my whole life and have made friends with fans from all over the country. I think that the Sea-Squatch is a truly original idea and the response from Seahawks fans has been overwhelming. I have always felt that the Seahawks have one of the most underrated fan bases and winning would help give our team of fans the recognition that we deserve.

What triggered your passion for sports?

My grandmother started my addiction to the Seahawks. One of my earliest memories is watching her yelling at the refs on TV during Seahawks games. She is 90 this year and I am taking her to the Monday night game against the Lions. 

Favorite sports moment?

My favorite moment has to be the NFC championship "TIP" that sent us to Super Bowl 48 champs.

Who would you like to meet and why?

Steve Largent has always been my favorite player for many reasons. He had great integrity, sportsmanship, and class. He always kept his cool and always performed under pressure. He was never the biggest or the fastest guy on the field but he usually had the largest impact. 

What charitable programs are you involved with?

I have been involved with 5 annual Kadlac4Kids 36 hour radiothons. We raised over 500,000 in 5 years for pediatrics here in the Tri-cities although I was me during those not the Squatch. I have made donations to Kam Chancellors foundation Kam Cares. Recently I have started to get involved with a children's burn victim foundation called Burned Youth United.

How does your family feel about your passion?

Honestly they support me even though I know sometimes it is not easy to deal with my craziness. My 5 year old daughter has started her own costume that she calls "Lil Squatch" and is a huge Richard Sherman fan. My wife loves the Hawks also but I;m sure thinks dressing up is a little crazy. My son is almost two and Seahawks was his third word. 

How was your character created?

When I went to games just as me I was sitting next to a couple Super Fans named Cannonball and the Rooster. They told me that anyone could be a Super Fan but you just have to be original and have the right attitude. Brad is a member of the PFUFA and he explained the code of fans to me. I spent a few months brainstorming and then Sea-Squatch just popped in my head. I spent 4 months working on the costume and the rest is history. I knew I had something special when I had a crowd around me the first 30 seconds I stepped out of the parking garage.

How important is it to you to have an Award Show for fans?

The world of the Super Fans is not really seen by regular people. Lots of people think we are paid by teams or that we are just crazy. I think this is a brilliant way to show the world how much good Super Fans can do. 

What would it mean to you to win the What A Fan Awards?

I am not going to win but it would be an honor to represent such a great organization that helps kids and spreads the love that we have for sports.

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and fanatic sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! #Fans247 #whatafan #whatafanawards #SportsFansConference 

No comments:

Post a Comment