Thursday, August 20, 2015

Cheryl Stewart, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet Cheryl Stewart, 2015 What A Fan Awards Community Service Award Nominee. Cheryl, also known as "Spent" is a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan that is the type of individual you would want on your team no matter what the project is. Her story, yet to be completed, is already unbelievable. Her community service activities are heart warming and she seems to have an endless supply of energy for the right cause.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its been held in Orlando Florida but will be relocated to Los Angeles California in 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a fan?

Since 1976

Why should you be selected in this category?

I volunteer, a lot. I also organize volunteering opportunities for groups of Buccaneer fans. About two years ago I started a little division of What The Buc? called "What The Buc Really Matters?" which is dedicated to helping others, We wanted fans to know that there was more going on within the Buccaneers’ organization than football games, draft parties and players’ autographs. Our franchise is rich with players, past and present, that are deeply involved in charities. Charities require “hands” and no matter your economic situation you can help. We always knew people wanted to do more if they just knew how, so like everything else we have done with WTB?, we jumped right in. With the help of social media we were able to answer the cries for help. We got involved by asking questions and by showing up. Early on maybe a handful of people would volunteer, I am proud to share with you that we just registered 60 sets of hands for a holiday event where we helped feed over 1000 people. We have sent goodies to the troops overseas, packaged food for Africa, lent our voice to pediatric cancer, helped with the battle against domestic violence, raised money for the American Heart Association, grown beards for Movember, worn pink bras in October and provided toys for little ones during some scary times. For the 2012 season I introduced "themed" tailgates. Sometimes they coincided with league events such as breast cancer, often they were exclusive to our members. We were able to collect 100 new bed pillows for The Spring of Tampa Bay (our local domestic violence shelter) during our "Pillow Fight Against Domestic Violence", In December we collected 150 baby dolls under our "Meatheads love Women" for the little girls living in that same shelter during Christmas. Each game benefited a local charity, and we were now known for our contributions. The 2012 season also brought on raffles. What better way to reward our generous members for their donations (time, money or both) than with autographed memorabilia. We raised money for the American heart Association, Movember and a local gentleman that purchases 1500 bikes a year for underprivileged children. I am humbled constantly by the support people have given me. I have the good fortune to be friends with many "super fans" and am often gifted with their "painted-up" presence at my events. The show of support these past few years is amazing. I volunteer with The Ryan Nece Foundation, Earnest Graham and the 1Voice Foundation, The Spring of Tampa Bay, The Shriners Hospital, Metropolitan Ministries, Habitat for Humanity, Feed the Children and a handful of others. . I raise awareness and funds for Movember, American Heart Association and Breast Cancer. All year long I buy jerseys and footballs and whatever else I can get my hands on, then wait for a player signing event. I use this signed memorabilia to sell raffle tickets with proceeds benefiting any number of our charities. Sometimes I make gift baskets with the autographed items and donate them to a charitable event. I do all of this while flying under the Buccaneer flag. I was just recently asked how much money I thought I had raised in the past few years. "Not enough, not nearly enough".

What triggered your passion for sports?

My first memory of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers was that my daddy was getting a team to play in our stadium. I didn't know any of the details, I just knew they were coming. I am the only child of the greatest sports' fan ever. It mattered not that I was a little girl, Sunday was our day and that meant going to Tampa Stadium. The Bucs were my dad's team, and he was their defender and fan. We tailgated in often empty parking lots, sat in the bleachers where I could literally lay down, and at halftime he would take me to the ladies' room where he would stand outside the door and wait. We ate junk food, bought everything that said "Buccaneers" and we cheered. We never left before the clock said 00:00 and we listened to men discussing the game on the radio ALL the way home. It was boring but it was with my dad and it was HIS team. First downs were treated like touchdowns, we celebrated getting backs on our aluminum bleachers by taking the portable cushion seats out of the trunk of the car and we clung to "From Worst to First" like it was a Lombardi. We were Bucs' fans. I am not sure of the exact date, not even the season but it happened. I picked my own players to follow, I learned the importance of first downs. I high-fived folks I didn't know and was taught to be quiet when OUR quarterback was on the field. I was a Bucs' fan. Drafts came, new names sewn onto jerseys, seasons started and seasons were lost but not our fandom. I didn't know we didn't own our team until Malcom Glazer bought us. I remember the excitement of new colors and talks of a new stadium. These were my Buccaneers, and I soon found out I was a defense girl. Wins were not unusual and some respect was coming our way. We got that new stadium and with that the old one had to get out of the way. I remember the Christmas when all women wanted was these new diamond tennis bracelets and my husband asked if I liked them. I told him of this article I had read in the newspaper where they were selling off pieces of the old stadium before the implosion. That Christmas I received my favorite piece of Buccaneer memorabilia , mine and my dad's mounted bleacher seats. It remains in my garage where we sit to put our shoes on every morning. I remember the day they were imploding the last and final section of the Ole Sombrero, I slipped out of my office telling my secretary I had errands to run. I drove to Dale Mabry Highway, pulled into the grass shoulder and parked. I watched as the media tower fell and a cloud of dust went up and I cried. My dad and I would never watch another game there. I would never hold his hand going out the tunnel as the clock flashed 00:00. As my Dad got older he made it to fewer and fewer games. I carried the torch and in a big way. I had the internet and with that came fellow Buc fans. I ran a couple of message boards and started organizing meet-ups. In 2006 I met another great fan, Derek Fournier, He was starting up a grass roots, fan based internet radio show and I loved the movement immediately! It introduced me to so many great fans, far and near. My emails now included "If I can only fly in for one game this season, which game should I choose?", "Spent, where's the closest hotel to the stadium?", "Can I wear a throwback jersey to any home game?", "Who should I contact at the Bucs about getting season tickets?" and "Is it okay if my whole family comes to the tailgate?". My favorites soon became our members in the military with simple requests like "Can you send me a copy of the front page of the tribune?" after a big win. I collected anything the Bucs gave us at the games and events and started making "happy" packages to mail out to fans serving in the military or lived too far to attend every game. Our little internet show was catching on and our membership grew and with that our meet-ups and tailgates exploded from a handful of people to 300 friends. Our season was no longer long enough so we started doing things in the off season. Friends became family and events often included volunteering for one of our player's charities. Draft parties were now organized, player's signings were usually followed by dinner together and I am the Godmother to countless fans under the age of ten. When people flew in for games we met up the day before to welcome them by having dinner or taking them for a tour of One Buc Place. I am thankful for social media and use it daily to spread Buccaneer and WTB? events. It is also a great way to keep in touch with thousands of Bucs' fans. I am proud to say that my emails now include inquiries from fans of visiting teams, where we bestow the very same hospitality which has become the standard of WTB?.

Favorite sports moment?

My city being awarded a pro football team and said team ultimately winning the Lombardi.

Who would you like to meet?

Had the pleasure of meeting some of the most famous of (charitable) fans, the Washington redskins' Hogettes...it was amazing. The lit the path for so many fans.

What charitable programs are you involved with?

We recently organized our first golf tournament benefiting pediatric cancer where we were able to raise $20,000.00

How important is it for you to have an Award Show for fans?

I believe folks should know what all these crazy fans really do, what better way to do this than showcasing them like What A Fan does.

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and fanatic sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! #Fans247 #whatafan #whatafanawards #SportsFansConference 



No comments:

Post a Comment