Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Yo Craig, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet Yo Craig, 2015 What A Fan Awards NFL Fan of the Year Nominee. This Houston Texan fan brings new meaning the saying; I wear my passion on my sleeves. He drapes his passion around his neck and anywhere else he can hang it.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its been held in Orlando Florida but will be relocated to Los Angeles California in 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
When did you become a sports fan?

I have been a huge sports fan my whole life, as a kid i played soccer, baseball, basketball, tennis, BMX dirt, aggressive inline, and just grew up loving all sports

What triggered your passion for sports?

Playing sports started it, but the passion grew from competition and the amazing feeling that came from accomplishing goals of getting better and the thrill of amazing plays

Who would you like to meet?

Another one that has so many choices, but it would have to be between J.J. Watt or Joe Montana

What charitable programs are you involved with?

Currently i am involved with many different charity groups. The first one i really got involved with was The Rose Breast Cancer Organization. My mother was a breast cancer survivor, as well as many other women i know that have dealt with the issue, so it was a subject close to my heart. I have done events with The Susan G. Komen foundation, as well as Bikers Against Breast Cancer, and am very good friends with Cowboy in Pink, whom has a group called So Many Cowboys Care, a bull rider that rides for the fight against breast cancer. My father passed away a few years ago from liver cancer, really bringing to light that cancer is such a huge and evil disease that comes in so many forms. I have recently started working with The Ronald Mc Donald house in Houston, helping out with kids battling cancer. I was introduced to them through a group MLB/NFL GO GOLD, a group bringing awareness to childhood cancer. Also have become close with a little boy named Matt, an awesome little guy battling B rittle Bone Disease. I have brought him and his family to training camp and draft parties with me, helping give him the Texans experience the best way i can, which really is not a charity, but it helps for others to see and learn about his condition, which is an important thing in itself to help bring awareness to a less common disease. I am also involved with CharitaBulls, a fairly new group in Houston that does charity events for all kinds of different groups and needs.

How does your family feel about your passion?

They absolutely love it. Everything creative i do is all in thanks to my mother, she taught me a bunch of arts and craft type things growing up and allowed me to express myself as creatively as possible. My fiance has really gotten into it as well. She loves coming to all the games and events with me

How did your character come to life?

5 years ago, i decided to make a cool Texans logo to hang on my wall. I really loved how it turned out, and one day the idea popped in my head "Hey, it would be really funny to put a chain on it and wear it to a game as a giant necklace" When i wore it to the game, a ton of people loved it and Crazy Chains was born. I then decide to make better and cooler ones, adding lights, spinning parts, different designs, etc.... and it just took off. Over the years i just came up with new ideas, making signs, adding bracelets, rings, and anything i could think to try and make. Last year, i decided i wanted to make a huge hat to go with my huge chain, and it is my favorite creation so far.

Share a humorous story about yourself or team.

The very first time i made a spinner chain, i wore it to the game, and a kid sitting near me saw me spin it a bunch, and absolutely loved it. He kept pointing to it and smiling, asking his mom if he could spin it. She kept telling him no, and he was so bummed out about it. I told his mom that is was fine and he could spin it. He got so excited and raced over the seat to come spin it....He was a little too excited and when he went to spin it he slammed his hand into it really hard and snapped the axle out of its baring and broke it!!! The whole logo fell right out of my chain!!! He was so upset about it and his mom turned bright red, but to me it was funny. I gave him one of my little chains i had on to cheer him up and luckily i had a friend that worked one of the bars at the stadium that gave me some bobby pins and pen caps that i used to secure the logo back in place, it no longer spun that day but was able to hold in place to last through the game.... i have since found a stronger and better way to make them lol

What would winning the What A Fan Awards mean to you?

As a huge sports fan, an artist, a member of the Texans Nation, and passionate super fan it would be a true honor. One of the greatest things thats ever happened to me came from the idea to make a funny necklace and wear it to a game. Becoming a super fan has allowed me to meet so many amazing people, not just in my own fan base, but in other teams fan bases as well. I have made many custom chains for some of the coolest fans around the country, forming friendships with other teams fans, and bringing a positive vibe back into being fans. Getting asked to to charity events and help out great causes has been a truly humbling experience. So many opportunities to give back and help others have come from it, and seeing what a difference i can make is reward in itself. The What A Fan Award would just be an extra great reminder that what i have created is making an impact and is seen for its positivity and creative nature. I never could have dreamed that i would even be nominated for something this cool, i started Crazy Chains as something i just loved doing and was amazed by how many people loved it, especially the kids. I work day and night, sacrifice so much, to make chains and create new and exciting artistic things, and it would truly be exciting to be recognized for all my hard work and passion. Award aside, it would be a greater honor to meet others that share the same passion for giving back and helping others. I have met a few fans from other teams that do so much as far as charity work and positive things for their community, and would love to continue meeting and working with even more like that. I see what a positive vibe What A Fan has and is trying to accomplish, and it would be a blessing to be associated with such a great group. Either way, win or not, i will continue doing as much as i can, and would still like to be part of the What A Fan Family, and help spread the positive message of being a great fan. Thank you so much for your nomination, that in itself is a great honor.

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and fanatic sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! #Fans247 #whatafan #whatafanawards #SportsFansConference   

No comments:

Post a Comment