Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Romeo Santos, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet Romeo Santos, 2015 What A Fan Awards MLB Fan of the Year Nominee. Romeo is truly a lover, a lover of his Baltimore Orioles that is. He is one amazing baseball fan and we here one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, as told to us by an opposing fan. When fans of other teams or sports are pointing you in the direction of a fan we figure they've got to be pretty special. Romeo is that and then some.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its been held in Orlando Florida but will be relocated to Los Angeles California in 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a fan?

Since the day I was born. I remember watching a game on TV when I was little. Every time the Orioles scored you could hear the crowd at Camden Yards. There would be a delay on the TV so if you could hear the roar from the crowd you knew what happened next. My very first job was selling lemonade in the stands when I was 15 years old. I plan on make a job at the ballpark my last when I retire from the military.

What triggered your passion for sports? 

I grew up down the street from Oriole Park at Camden Yards. I have always been a die hard fan but it wasn't until I returned from deployment in Kuwait back in 2006 that I really began to become a Super Fan. Unfortunately my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer shortly after our wedding in 2007. Orioles Baseball then became more to than just a game. It turned into my outlet for dealing with my sick wife. It kept me sane in the middle of an insane time. It gave me something to take my mind off of her suffering and be that rock that she needed.

Favorite sports moment?

As a child growing up in the shadow of Camden Yards I emulated Cal Ripken Jr. Watching him break the 2130 record of consecutive games will always be a highlight of my life. 

Who would you like to meet and why?

I would love to toss a ball around with Cal Ripken Jr. He was my roll model growing up. I consider myself as the "Cal Ripken" of breast cancer husbands because I never missed any of my wife's cancer treatments in four years. 

What charitable programs are you involved with?

My wife was a big supporter of the Maryland SPCA. She led a volunteer group that fundraised for them. After she passed in 2011 I took over and continue to lead her team. I use the Orioles High Five Fundraising program to bring friends and family to the ballpark and raise a ton of money for charity. The MDSPCA isn't the only charity that I have supported. I have also worked with the Gold Star Mothers, the Humane Society, several Military charities, and cancer charities. With the support of my friends and family we have raised over $75,000 for these charities. Using my love for Orioles baseball to do some good is a passion of mine. 

How does your family feel about your passion for sports?

My family is extremely supportive of my fandom. I bring about 250 to a ballgame once a month and most of them are my family. I recently had a son with my girlfriend. His name is Camden, after the ballpark that forever changed baseball. 

How was your character created?  

I don’t know how it started but for the last 7 years I have been wearing an orange construction helmet with a feathered O’hawk. I call it my “Boog Powell” helmet because the only person allowed to sign it is the big 1970 American League MVP. All the players, ushers, and fans know me for my feathered helmet. After showing fans how to catch a fly ball during batting practice and how to catch a player’s attention for an autograph, I usually go hang out with Boog and have him sign my helmet again. I love listening to his stories about 60’s and 70’s baseball. He signs it so many times each season that I have to make a new one every year. 

Tell us a humorous story?

Just recently the Baltimore Orioles played to an empty ballpark. It was a day game that I had to make it to. It was scheduled at the last minute and I didn't have time to properly request off of work so I took a half day without letting my supervisor know. I couldn't miss that historic event. I was one a few fans that got there to cheer on the Birds from the center field gates. It was absolutely amazing. Chris Davis belted a 3 run shot on Eutaw Street and I went nuts. The cameras zoomed in on us and just like that, I was busted! Everyone who was watching the game on TV tagged me in a post on Facebook. My boss saw it and I got an earfull the next day at work. It was worth it! Check it out.
What would winning the What A Fan Awards mean to you?

Winning a What a Fan Award would mean so much to me. Every one of the hundreds of Orioles games that I have been to they say that they have the "Best fans in baseball." I want to represent these fans. Winning this award would prove that the Orioles have the best fans in baseball. It is an absolute honor to even be recognized and nominated for this award. 

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and fanatic sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! #Fans247 #whatafan #whatafanawards #SportsFansConference 

No comments:

Post a Comment