Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Skully Bucsfan, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet Donald "Skully Bucsfan" Bradshaw, 2015 What A Fan Awards NFL Fan of the Year Nominee. We first met Skully Bucsfan in 2012 when he was selected in our video series as Fan of the Week, his passion for the Bucs was evident but it was his compassion for other fans that stood out. He's a devoted fan to his Tampa Bay Buccaneers but he supports the cities NHL and MLB Teams, he's truly deserving of this recognition.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its been held in Orlando Florida but will be relocated to Los Angeles California in 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a fan?

I attended my first Tampa Bay Buccaneers game, back in 1979, at the Houlihan Stadium (The Big Sombrero). Ticket cost was only $15.00 to get in. In the late 90's, Raymond James Stadium was built. I have attended home games regularly since then. Still standing proud for 36 years. 

Why should you be selected winner in this category?

I feel I should be chosen for this Fan of the Year award due to my many years of devotion and passion put forth in trying to build a stronger fan base for our Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Our team and our city has hurdled quite a storm of controversy, band-wagon jumpers, black-outs and a declining record. In character, I feel personally responsible to pull us all back together. I attend all of the Bucs events (in full gear) from the draft, through training camp, Fanfests and all home games. Skully is always there with all of my craziness, cheers and dancing to try and draw attention to the love of the game. Each tailgate, not only with Bucs fans, I wait and welcome the visiting team fans to make the visit to Tampa and the Raymond James Stadium a most memorable one. Each time a fan hollers out "Skully" or the parrot squeaks "Skully's in the house" I know I made a difference in someone's day. So not only do I love the BUCS, I think I am, definitely someone you would call "What A Fan"!

What triggered your passion for sports?

I grew up playing sports with my brothers, friends and in school. I loved the competition and the athleticism of every game. The excitement grew when I started attending live events. The atmosphere and the fans only escalated it. I started attending Tampa Bay Buccaneers games as Skully Bucsfan, which took it to the next level of passion. 

Favorite sports moment?

My favorite sports moment would have to be Superbowl XXXVII, January 2003. Our Tampa Bay Buccaneers won the Superbowl. There was no better feeling than seeing the team you cheered on for so many years, through thick and thin, win the Superbowl and bring home the Vince Lombardi trophy.

Who would you like to meet and why?

I would like to meet "The Great" Phil Esposito. He was my idol, growing up watching him play hockey with the Boston Bruins. Relocating, as an adult, to the Tampa Bay area, I was ecstatic when Phil was responsible for bringing Tampa Bay a hockey franchise - Tampa Bay Lightning. 

What charitable programs are you involved with?

Although I am currently not affiliated with any known Charitable programs, I give back personally to Buccaneers fans, of all ages, with self-funded, non-profitable giveaways. Standing outside of the stadium as fans walk by, they are either in awe or a little frightened of Skully. I share these trinkets to see the smiles on their faces and add to their memorable experience of attending the game. I am, however, more than willing to volunteer where needed with any local organizations., as my schedule allows.

How does your family feel about your passion for sports?

I played goalie for many years growing up. Years later, with a family of my own, I played goalie with USA hockey. My kids would get right in to it with me, screaming and cheering me on from the stands. As a family, we watched a lot of sports on TV, and attended live events. When Skully Bucsfan came to life, I'm not sure they knew what to think. But as video/pictures of Skully surfaced on the internet and local news channels, they now like saying, "That's my dad!". I have to say that my greatest support comes from Ms. Skully. She is a avid sports fan and always stands ready to take pictures with fans and fits right in with the rest of the radical fanatical. 

How was your character created?

Believe it or not...my costume came to light when I saw a skeleton mask hanging on a wall. Already a long-time fan and supporter of Gasparilla and Guavaween (two local events) I purchased it and Skully was born. A few years later, Raymond James Stadium was built and there it was . . . Skully's pirate ship. Already a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan, it was simply meant to be. A few extra beads, a hand selected Bucs jersey and just the right gear, Skully became a familiar face at every home game since. I knew Skully found his home.

Tell us a humorous story about your passion?

Many visiting teams fans love to have their pictures taken with Skully either in a choke-hold fashion or a tackling, crushing motion. The funniest I recall, was a middle-aged, female Falcon fan who almost took me to my knees for the picture. I had to laugh and remind her that it was all in fun, as her hands were wrapped around my throat. Fun times.....but I really think she meant it! 

What would winning the What A Fan Awards mean to you?

To win this award would be simply amazing. Of course, Skully loves to be in the spotlight and to have fun promoting Tampa Bay sporting events from behind the skull, but the great honor of being nominated this year is truly remarkable for something I simply enjoy doing. It would feel like the 4th of July - New Year's Eve - .and our Tampa Bay Buccaneers winning the Superbowl all over again! I would probably need EMS on stand-by. :D

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and fanatic sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! #Fans247 #whatafan #whatafanawards #SportsFansConference 



No comments:

Post a Comment