Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Fireman Bob, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet Bob "Fireman Bob" Reynolds Sr., 2015 What A Fan Awards Outstanding Community Service Nominee. Bob is a fireman in New York, that alone will tell you a great deal about the man. His passion for sports is what attracted us to him, his love for the New York Giants. As we got to know him better we found his compassion for community service was equal to his devotion for football, so much so he requested we change his category to reflect his service to his community. Fireman Bob, We get it!

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its been held in Orlando Florida but will be relocated to Los Angeles California in 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a fan?

Since I was a teenager.

Why should you be selected winner in this category?

I have had a lifetime of community service. I love helping other people. 

What triggered your passion for sports?

Always was attracted to them as a kid, (Kids in sports stay out of courts) After the birth of my son I loved it even more because I did it with him.

Favorite sports moment?

Too many... Meeting Michael Strahan at the Kelly & Michael Show, even thou my son and I would see him at the games and give him Powdered donuts (A long story) The Giants - Minnesota playoff game in 2000, Attending Super Bowl 42 and 46and getting back in time for the parade after SB 46. 

Who would you like to meet and why?

John Mara owner of the Giants, Just like to talk to him about the Mara family values. I've always enjoyed reading about how Faith, Football and Family was intertwined. Also Tom Coughlin to talk to him about his leadership.

What charitable programs are you involved with?

 I have been involved with numerous charitable organizations. I have been and continue to be involved with my local volunteer fire department where I am a Past Chief. I currently serve as an Orange County New York Deputy Fire Coordinator (Volunteer Position), Orange County Governance Board (Appointed Volunteer Position) am also currently 5th Vice President of the Orange County Volunteer Firefighters Association. Serve on the Richie Reynolds Memorial Committee, Have been a member of the Town of Montgomery Lions Club, Past Board Member of Montgomery Little League, Volunteered many years for the Al Ronaldson Fund ( A Line of Duty Death of the FDNY). Helped coordinate and raise monies at Giant Stadium in the weeks after 9/11. Valley Central High School scholarship donator and have also helped set up and run the yearly MOCK DWI drill to teach graduating seniors the effects of driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol. I helped setup and implement the fundraiser at Giants Stadium for Americares following the 9/11 attacks which we raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for the victims and their families. This was done with donations at the gates entering the stadium and by the Giants organization. Fire Service: I joined the Montgomery Fire Department in 1976. I have held various positions throughout my years of service. On the civil/social side I served as financial secretary, Vice President and President of the Fleet, Hook and Ladder Company #1, I served as Vice President and President of the Montgomery Fire Department. On the firematic side of the Fleet Hook and Ladder Company #1, I served thru the ranks from 2nd Lieutenant, 1st Lieutenant, and Captain. On the department level, I served as a Safety Officer, 2nd Assistant Chief, 1st Assistant Chief and Chief. I also served as a Deputy Chief (3rd Assistant Chief). I became a Special Deputy Fire Coordinator of Communications in Orange County, NY in July of 2014. Orange County has 53 fire departments within its borders. I have been very active in that position and prior with the setup of the “16 Channel Plan”, which is a bank of radio channels that helps the firefighters to safely operate at fire scenes. This plan took years to establish and has greatly improved radio communications in our county. I was appointed to the Orange County Interoperability Governance Board in 2011 to represent the fire service. This board is responsible for the setup and implementation of an interoperable radio system that can be used by police, fire and emergency medical services. Again, I have been working many years on this even before the board. This system is still a few years away but I have extreme confidence it will benefit the emergency services of Orange County very well for many years to come. I headed a committee to develop a MAYDAY plan for the fire service of Orange County. This policy will greatly assist the fire service in the event of a downed firefighter or evacuation of a structure in the event of a collapse situation. School District: Many grants thru the business that I manage Many donations Fundraising, especially when school budget didn’t pass Al Ronaldson Fund ( FDNY firefighter that died in the line of duty in 1993 with 5 children) Golf tournaments 9/11 fundraiser at Giant Stadium Town of Montgomery Lions Club ( Ran a car show for many years raising thousands of dollars for local charities)

How does your family feel about your passion?

They love it!!!! They share it with me, it's a family thing. My son is getting married in October and his fiance is a NY GIANT fan (it was a requirement). We attend Giant games together and most of our friends are fans as well. EVERYONE in our community know we are GIANT fans. My wife says it keeps me out of the bars, ha-ha. She likes the benefit of traveling now to watch games. meet people with our same likes. Great FAMILY time together!!!! 

How was your character created?

I'm a fireman!

How important is it to you to have an Award Show for fans?

I think it's a GREAT idea and long overdue.

What would winning the What A Fan Awards mean to you?

It would be right up there with attending the last two Super Bowls that the Giants were in and won against the Patriots. I often refer to that as the three best moments in my life.... My marriage to my wife of 36 years, the birth of my son and the Giants beating the Patriots in SB42 and I don't put them in any particular order... hahaha 

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and fanatic sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! #Fans247 #whatafan #whatafanawards #SportsFansConference 


No comments:

Post a Comment