Wednesday, August 26, 2015

PANCHO BILLA, What A Fan Awards Nominee

Meet Ezra "Pancho Billa" Castro, 2015 What A Fan Awards NFL Fan of the Year Nominee. Pancho Billa has become one of the most beloved super fans across the country, he's personable and kind to everyone regardless of team. We've had the chance to see him in action and people gravitate to this fan. He compassionate and inclusive.

Sports fans have been an important part of the explosive success both collegiate and professional athletics has enjoyed. In 2013 a recognition award show was created to honor fans and their contribution to the sports industry it's called the What A Fan Awards. Its been held in Orlando Florida but will be relocated to Los Angeles California in 2016. Over the coming weeks we're going to introduce you to some of the countries most devoted fans of all genres of sports  in their own words.
How long have you been a fan?

From the Womb to the Tomb (Bills fan since 1986).

What triggered your passion for sports?

My Dad... He loved football. Of the 4 sons he had, I was the only one to play football at a young age. Started at age 7. I know it him happy to support me, so I kept at it and fell in love with the sport!  

Favorite sports moment?

(Non Football related) But, I'm also a huge San Antonio Spurs fan. When the Spurs won their 5th Title on Fathers Day in 2014. It was special to celebrate it with my only child, son, Ginobili E. Castro "Gino"...yes named after Manu Ginobili. For me and his mom to celebrate it together was an emotional wreck. 

Who would you like to meet and why?

I would have loved to meet Mr. Ralph Wilson, founder of the Buffalo Bills in 1960. What passion the man had for the game. All his efforts and time given. Everyone can always use that motivation from someone like him.

What charitable programs are you involved with?

As of today, the only charitable work I'm involved with is with the PFUFA organization, which I became a member in 2011. Every year we visit the J. Babe Stern Community Center in Canton, OH, to support and provide under privileged children with school supplies and goodies to help their families out. We are full characterized and it bring such joy to the kiddos. I do assist friends with $$ donations to specifics charities when in need and the funds are there. I do what I can, when I can. I too am a STRONG Supporter for the FANS AGAINST CHILD ABUSE campaign. 

How does your family feel about your passion for sports?

My family is very supportive. They think I'm Crazyyyyyy. They love to tell their friends about my get up. I usually provide my trading card to them for them. (signed) My family has traveled with me as well. All super fans are family.

How was your character created?

I'm Hispanic. My mask come from the "Lucha aka Wrestling back ground. My Sombrero come from the vocal singers/group, Mariachi's. My Pancho is a added touch to the Hispanic picture. Its what we wear. Custom jeans with words "VIVA LOS BILLS" which is my get up phrase. and of course the custom boots to add the awesome touch. I recently added a Carrilla. Which is a chest holster and arm bands. In hopes to give me that extra "Crazy Hispanic Bills Fan Look" 

Tell us a humorous story?

I'll never forget my PFUFA (Pro Football's Ultimate Fan Assoc) induction speech in Canton, OH. I stepped up the podium and pulled a George Lopez on the attendees. I started speaking Spanish and everyone was in complete Stunned form, eyes wide open and not a clue of what I had said. Then I reached down under podium, and pretended to hit a switch and started speaking English. I would then reach down to switch back to Spanish, and back to English. I had everyone rolling. It was classic. after a bit of that, I started my own version of Super fan Roasting. It was a classic speech, undrafted, all at the microphone moment.

What would winning the What A Fan Awards mean to you?

This is my 2nd attempt at it. It would mean the "MUNDO" to me. (World) I have come a long way from the small city of El Paso, TX to becoming a Buffalo Bills fan. Who would have thought that a young Hispanic boy from the crazy lower valley streets of El Paso would be so in love with a team hundreds of miles away. (the logo got me) I don't know if this would apply but It too would be an HUGE honor to be the 1st NFL Hispanic Award recipient. We are all one. We are all family. 

Learn more about the What A Fan Awards by visiting www.whatafanshow.com and if you or someone you know are devoted, passionate and fanatic sports fans let them know they too could be Nominated for this honor! #Fans247 #whatafan #whatafanawards #SportsFansConference 

No comments:

Post a Comment